SU bans Julie Bindel from speaking at uni free speech event

They say it’s because she’s transphobic

The SU are not allowing Julie Bindel to talk at a Free Speech and Secular society event.

They released a statement explaining that Bindel was “flagged as potentially in breach of [their] safe space policy.”

The activities and development officer and the SU decided to ban her from the uni based on her comments towards trans people.

The SU committee unanimously voted against Bindel’s visit out of fear that such comments could “incite hatred towards and exclusion of our trans students.”

Julie Bindel will not be allowed to talk at the Free Speech and Secular Societies event

Bindel is a controversial journalist and activist known for her efforts to ban trans women from female only spaces. She thinks our society should not even offer gender reassignment surgery.

The SU followed up their official statement with a detailed Facebook post about the matter, in which they explained the potential danger of a visit from the infamous Bindel. The said trans people are some of the most marginalised in society , with almost 50% of trans people under the age of 26 having attempted suicide.

Jess Lishak’s response

Our passionate Women’s Officer Jess Lishak said: “I refuse to allow our campus to be poisoned by this woman’s tireless campaign to deny trans people their basic human rights.”

The Free Speech and Secular society wanted to invite Bindel to speak at their event “From liberation to censorship: does modern feminism have a problem with free speech?”, and weren’t impressed when it was thrown back in their face.

In their statement on the SU’s ban, they said the committee were “making a joke of free expression” and deemed their safe space policy a “flimsy bit of legislature”. They believe that the policy is only in place so the committee can “fashion the university in their own image.”

They went on to say “speakers far more controversial and ‘offensive’ than Julie have been permitted” in the past, so she should be allowed.