I tried the ‘No Poo’ method and stopped washing my hair

Grease is the word

Greasy hair is a struggle for lots of women, and unless you have extensions and infinite amounts of dry shampoo, there isn’t much that you can do to fix it.

This is where the “No-Poo” method comes in, claiming to be the best thing you can do for your hair.

The method suggests ditching shampoo and conditioner for a weekly concoction of bicarb and apple cider vinegar. This apparently gives your hair its natural oils and beautiful long, thick hair.

This sounded too good to be true, obviously I had to try it.

Days 1 & 2

Day one and scalp already visible

Just tangles and grease

As you can see, the grease was pretty intense even by the second day. The “adjustment period” aka the “hat period” is supposed to last from 1-6 weeks. That’s right, potentially 6 weeks of chip pan hair.

Days 3-5

Laughter hides the tears

So unimpressed with grease

A whole new level of gross

I look like I belong in The Ring

The main thing that I had learnt by day five was: just when you think that it can’t get any worse… it does. I had to walk around permanently looking like I had just stepped out of the shower.

Days 6 & 7

Not enough hats to cover this

In desperate need of a wash

Doesn’t even look thicker

This was BEFORE it got wet

By this point my excitement to reach the bicarb washing day was so high that I just did not care about my appearance, I stopped wearing make up or putting any effort in as I just felt so unattractive.

Post “wash”

It still didn’t feel clean

Okay, credit where credit is due, the bicarb did sort of clean my hair, however it required a lot of effort. You have to scratch it into your scalp and work methodically around your head. It also didn’t completely remove the large levels of grease that had built up throughout the rest of my hair. All in all, I still felt disgusting.

Maybe if you have the guts to stick to it, the method might be great for your hair. But I couldn’t put myself through six grease-drenched weeks to wait and find out.

However, it did make me realise how much my hair contributes to my confidence and that when it looked disgusting, I felt extremely unattractive and embarrassed. If you want to try and get healthier hair then give this method a try, but if you want grease to remain as just a fun sing along then buy a sulphate free shampoo and wash to your hearts content. I know that is what I intend to do.