Pervert taxi driver thought to have raped THREE women this month

One of them was in Fallowfield

Greater Manchester Police believe that one taxi driver is responsible for three rapes.

GMP claim that the taxi driver, described as Asian, in his 30’s possibly wearing glasses and having short dark hair, raped three women aged 18, 23 and 28 in Fallowfield, Prestwich and Whitefield between 16th and 19th July.

The first account of rape took place at 5.15am in Fallowfield on 16th July after a 28-year-old woman got in the offender’s car at Piccadilly Gardens.

The first assault took place on Wilmslow Road in Fallowfield

He proceeded to sexually assault the woman after stopping the car near Wilmslow Road.

Following this, on Saturday 18th July at 3am an 18-year-old got into a car near to 42nd Street. The brutal assault took place when she was driven to the Prestwich area.

The day after, at around 2.45am, a 23-year-old woman got into the car, believed to be a silver Mercedes on Peter Street in the city centre.

Similarly to the previous attacks, the driver drove off with the passenger inside. He drove towards Whitefield where he stopped the car and raped the 23-year-old.

The second assault happened after a woman got into a taxi on Peters Street

Talking about the harrowing incidents, Detective Sergeant Mark Astbury said: “We are working to establish whether all three incidents are connected or not but clearly this is a worrying set of circumstances.

“In all three incidents, the victims have been led to believe they are getting into a genuine taxi before they have been sexually assaulted. I would ask anyone who may have been approached or been a victim to call us as soon as possible.

“Please ensure you use licensed taxi companies by either pre-booking or going to a designated taxi rank.

“Stay together on a night out, and never get into an unknown car without checking it is a licensed taxi first. If you are unsure, go to a taxi rank, particularly if you are on your own.”

Anyone with information should phone police at the City Centre on 0161 856 3221 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.