We tried to find London’s cheapest and most expensive pint

Don’t expect change from a fiver

national

The first thing anyone mentions when you talk about London are the ridiculous prices. “Oh aren’t pints really expensive there? Don’t they cost like a whole month’s rent?” The answer is no – well, sometimes.

With the city’s average pint price sitting 48p above the national average of £3.31 at £3.79, you’d be hard pressed to find a “pound a pint”, the likes of which are fairly common up North.

Without leaving central London, we decided to take on the task of finding the cheapest pint you can afford to spill all over yourself, and the most premium one you’d treasure more than your first born child.

The cheapest – £2.56

Anchor Tap, near Tower Bridge

Within literally a minute’s walk of Tower Bridge, smack bang in the middle of the tourist hub, this is the promised land in central London. It had you’ve ever dreamed of – a cheap drink.

Weighing in at under £3, cheaper than the average pint anywhere, this classic old man pub gives Londoners back their good name. Close to Tower Bridge and reeking of authentic, proper pub vibes, this is definitely one to visit if you’re on a budget.

Victory

At a bargain £2.56 for a pint of proper northern Sam Smith’s, you even get enough change from a fiver to (almost) buy one for a friend. If it’s your turn to buy a round in, this is the place for you.

Keep ’em coming

Although rumour has it somewhere in the deep dark depths of a far out zone of West London, there’s a pint for £2.20 in a Spoons, the money it’d take to get out there would cancel out the 30p difference you’d save on the off-chance the myth is true.

The Steepest – £10

Singer Tavern, Shoreditch

The scene of the crime

Ever handed over a fiver, cringing in anticipation of the change, then been asked for another one? That’s what happened to us in Shoreditch – we should have known.

Admittedly, it wasn’t a pint of Carling (they didn’t even do Carling), but that kind of money could buy you at least two of those dodgy crates of mini beers back home, and you’d have a great time.

I regret everything

Admittedly for the price we paid it was a pretty strong pint – it was around six per cent – but sadly that isn’t strong enough to forget the pain of handing over a tenner. For that price, I’d expect a pint of Belvedere.

In once-vibesy tourist-ridden Shoreditch, you’re paying for the street art and people watching, not necessarily what’s in the glass.

London life ain’t cheap

Do you know of a cheaper or more expensive pint in central London? Send your cold hard evidence to [email protected] or Tweet us @TheTab.