Loughborough ranked sixth best new uni in the UK

Big up

Times Higher Education has published its fifth annual ranking of universities under 50 years old, and we’ve come sixth in the UK.

Universities from 39 countries are represented, with continental European and Asian Universities taking 95 places.

Loughborough University took sixth place out of all the Universities in the UK, ranking 62nd overall.

The UK performed well in this year’s ranking, with 25 institutions making the cut.

Loughborough University was founded as Loughborough Technical Institute in 1909, and did not become a University until April 19th, 1966.

Other UK universities that made the cut include the Universities of Dundee, Bath, Surrey and Stirling.

École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, founded in 1969 in Switzerland took the top spot overall.

Times Higher Education 150 Under 50 reveals those nations and regions challenging the traditional dominance of universities located in the US and UK, whose institutions occupy 30 places in the overall ranking.

Times Higher Education rankings editor, Phil Baty, said: “The UK is the most-represented country in this year’s list of the world’s best young universities, boasting an impressive 25 institutions in the top 150. Eleven of these make the top 100, led by the University of Dundee in 16th place.

“However, more than half (13) of the UK’s representatives were founded in the 1960s, which means many will be told old to feature in the list in future years; eight will drop out next year.

“Furthermore, Higher Education Funding Council for England received a £150m budget slash last year, while the number of first-year overseas students fell by 1.7 per-cent in 2015-16, following a tightening of immigration policies.”