Campus unis are way more fun than city unis

You don’t get any weird locals

Luff boasts the largest single-site green campus in the UK, so it’s no surprise most of us are living in what’s affectionately known as the Lufbra bubble.

There’s something quite magical about our strange little world where children don’t exist and cheesy chips are a standard dietary requirement. Sure, city universities have the advantage of, well, being in the city, but campus universities like ours make the whole student experience so much better.

Everyone’s a student

There’s a real sense of community on campus. Pretty much everyone you come across is a student. Whether you’re on the way to a lecture, pretending to get some work done in Pilks, or working up a sweat in Holywell, you’re bound to bump into somebody you know.

And because everyone’s a student, everything feels a lot safer. It’s easy to get involved and make friends because you’re never really alone, and you’ll always be able to find someone to drag along to FND. You can get a bit mad on campus because everyone expects students to make some noise now and then. It’s just not the same in town where you encounter complaining locals.

Everything’s so close together

The great thing about a campus uni is that you don’t have to trek across town to get from one lecture to the next. If you’re hungover and sleep through your alarm, you can probably still make it to class with minutes to spare. Our campus is huge, but even the SU is only about a 15 minute walk from the Bakewell, the furthest hall, so nothing can beat that really. It doesn’t even matter if your coursemates or society buddies live in a different hall because they’re all so near to each other, so meetups have never been easier. Town isn’t that far away either.

We have everything we need at our disposal

Who needs to go to town anyway? We’ve got basically everything we could ask for on campus already: Starbucks, Costa, a handful of cafés and Manchuhan restaurant, which do the best lunchtime deals. Who needs Tesco when you’ve got the Purple Onion? Who needs Domino’s when you’ve got Papa Si, our Lord and Saviour?

We’ve got gyms and a swimming pool, astro turf and playing fields. The LSU beats any nightclub in town (OK, we’ll still go to Echos on a Saturday), and we don’t need the Odeon because we’ve got Flix. Lufbra town doesn’t offer much anyway, but we can shop for clothes online anyway.

Is it any wonder, then, that many Luff students return to campus halls for their second and third year? If you’re planning on moving to the golden triangle, make sure you’ve really thought it through, because there’s really nowhere better to experience student life than at the heart of the Loughborough bubble.