Rutherford warden sends email about smoking weed in halls

He also said they found NOS in rooms

The Rutherford warden Dr Matthew Frost sent an email to everyone who lived in the hall about drug use.

Frost said he is becoming “increasingly aware” some students in the hall are smoking cannabis, particularly those in Whitworth and block five.

He said: “We are aware that some people in Whitworth and block five have left cannabis in their room and a couple of people have been daft enough to get caught recently.”

He reminded students that if they get caught with drugs that the penalties are severe and he has no flexibility in this as the university expects him to act accordingly.

He encouraged Rutherford residents to call the sub-wardens if they smell weed within the hall.

In addition, Frost informed students the University has issued new instructions regarding the use of Nitrous Oxide – NOS. He said: “We are now to treat this also as a disciplinary offence on the grounds it’s dangerous. We again are aware people in Whitworth and in block 21 have had Nitrous Oxide in their rooms.”

Kenneth Zimowski, a second year Rutherfordian, spoke directly to The Tab on this issue and said: “I don’t think there’s too much of an issue with it. I mean, there are definitely people smoking weed around the place, but those that are seem to be doing a good job of hiding it or covering up.

“The wardens are just trying to keep their students safe and there’s nothing wrong with them being on top of the situation if they feel like there is one.”