Fossil Free campaign group to host flashmob party in UCL Main Quad next Tuesday

Bust serious moves for serious issues!

Fossil Free UCL is holding a flashmob party on Tuesday 14th March at 1pm in the Main Quad. The campaign group is demanding that UCL divests from the fossil fuel industry and reinvests in renewable energy/green technology. They are calling for mass-mobilisation in the form of a party protest with music, banners and flares.

Fossil Free UCL is part of the global campaign to get institutions and cities to act more sustainably. While many universities, such as Cambridge, Oxford, SOAS, LSE and King’s, have already announced that they are committed to divesting, UCL currently still have £12.5 million invested in fossil fuel companies like Shell, who also carries allegations of human rights abuse.

Last November, Fossil Free UCL held a die-in protest representing the millions of lives lost at the hands of the fossil fuel industry, which was picked up by The Independent.

An organiser of the flashmob told The Tab:

“The flashmob comes before a UCL council meeting on the 16th. The UCL council has essentially the final say on divestment and the purpose of our flashmob is to encourage them to make the right decision and join the other 43 [universities that have committed to divest]. ”

Check out the event here.