London least affordable city to start life as a graduate

No surprises there…

According to new research, London is the most unaffordable city in the country with graduates statistically much better off starting their careers in the country’s other big cities, like  Leeds, Edinburgh or Cardiff.

Research carried out by graduate recruitment specialists, Pareto found Belfast to be the most affordable city to start life as a graduate. This is because average salaries were proportionally high for the cost of living and rent.

Average salaries in Belfast were 32,500 and with average rent £28 cheaper compared to London.

Although the average London salary was £48,000, the monthly rent was nearly triple that of Belfast and the was second only to Bath for cost of living .

Other cities that aren’t recommended included Brighton and Oxford.

Milton Keynes was the only city in the South-East that came in the top ten affordable cities.

Suzie Berry, Head of Candidate Experience at Pareto, said: “The affordability of the capital cities of Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh shows that graduates needn’t head to London in search of graduate employment.

“London will always draw graduates due to its size and wealth of opportunity – it is the basis for many employers and average and starting salaries are more attractive. But many companies have headquarters and offices throughout the UK, where getting on the career ladder can be easier as well as more affordable, so it pays for graduates to keep their options open.”

The full results can be found here.