Private halls are much better than uni halls

Our rooms are massive

Have you ever lived in a private hall? No? Well, I’m a SSEES student at Chapter Islington and here’s why it’s so much better than you think.

It’s not just UCL students

The Zone 2 lyfe

The biggest difference between a private and UCL hall is there are people from other universities! This means if you awkwardly try to kiss somebody at a flat party, you might be lucky enough not to have to see them on campus, and perhaps never again!

We spend much more time on the bus

The architecture’s pretty on point too

Alright this one’s hard to argue for, but another difference is we spend a lot more time travelling to uni. Private halls are inexplicably much further out than most standard halls, meaning a 9am can be a bit of a struggle.

However, being further out means you get to see more of London than you’re average Bloomsbury-based fresher- if uni doesn’t work out then maybe we could all become cab drivers?

The rooms are massive

The pièce de résistance is that compared to your usual student room, our rooms are huge. I brought my entire wardrobe, a fencing kit, two rapiers and a couple of football kits for good measure and there’s still space for me to dry my clothes instead of forking out for a tumble dryer all the time.

People might think we are boring

Life in private halls may not seem as colourful as one in UCL halls: no one shits in the corridor or hurls in the kitchen sink . Because most clubs are far away, we tend to pre-drink at somebody’s hall beforehand. The spilled booze all over the carpet and the vomit in the kitchen wont be our problem, meaning we get back from a solid night to a nice, clean room.

The phrase “don’t shit where you sleep” springs to mind.