Archaeology students have trigger warnings for when they’re scared of bones

It might trigger psychological trauma in some students

Archaeology students can now leave a lecture without being penalised if they find it too “distressing”.

UCL’s Institute of Archaeology has introduced trigger warnings for students taking Archeologies of Modern Conflict.

As of yet, no students has complained that they find the material suitably disturbing enough to leave the class.

The Institute of Archaeology

Lecturer Gabriel Moshenka said that introducing trigger warnings were necessary as some students had served in the army and might induce psychological trauma from the content of the course.

Students affected are allowed to step outside without penalty, but are expected to catch up on all they have missed from the lecture.

A trigger warning allows academics to warn students at the beginning of a lecture that it might contain material that some students might find traumatic.

The decision to introduce the warnings was not in response to demand from students, but rather a precautionary measure taken by academic staff.

The chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, Chris McGovern, told The Mail on Sunday, that this was an example of “health and safety gone mad”.