UCL climbs to 10th place in Complete University Guide ranking

Strand Poly didn’t stand a chance

UCL has climbed to 10th place in the 2017 Complete University Guide (CUG) rankings, up from 13th place last year, and has remained the third best university in London behind LSE and Imperial.

Unlike the QS world rankings (in which UCL is currently placed 7th) which judges universities based on academic reputation and citations per faculty, the CUG rankings take into account ten separate measures including entry standards, student satisfaction – which is notoriously poor at UCL – and research intensity.

In true UCL fashion, we left Strand Poly quaking in their boots, as they placed 21st overall.

It has also been revealed that UCL ranks 50th in the country with regards to the amount of unresolved student complaints, with 24,477 letters of complaint – 2.2 letters per student.

While UCL has historically scored very highly in the CUG with regards to entry standards and degree completion (94% of students completed their degree last year) it is routinely let down by lack of university funding of facilities and incredibly poor student satisfaction – although considering the increasing bitterness between students and UCL Estates, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise.