How to ace beer pong according to the EFS champions

Apparently you should arc the ball

Last Sunday the EFS Beer Pong tournament, the second of its kind this academic year, saw over twenty teams compete for the coveted prize.

The event took place in the basement at Belushi’s London Bridge, with teams ranging between one and four members.

The setup

After countless rounds, second years CP and Shay were crowned champions – both taking home a bottle of vodka for their efforts. We decided to ask the pair for their top tips for a fraternity-level performance.

On throwing the ball, CP recommends maximising the arc on the ball rather than throwing it in a straight line, with Shay adding: “Three fingers on the ball, line it up and extend your arm fully.” Neither advocate spin.

The rules of the tournament, in line with standard practice, stipulated that participants were allowed one re-rack per game, where they could change the positions of the cups on the table. Both champions advocated a four-cup diamond, stressing it was only at this time you could go for it.

CP taking aim as Shay (left) watches on

Team numbers were a point of contention between teams, with most opting for teams of four – arguably in a bid to reduce beer intake – but CP and Shay are adamant that two is the best number.

Chris highlights that beer intake is not a problem, but four players is also “logistically messy.” Shay claims” “I feel I get better as I drink more initially, but past a threshold it all goes pear-shaped.” Chris thinks it gets more entertaining the drunker you get, but Shay recommends you should “always have a casual beer on the side during games” anyway.

Larger teams mean you lose your flow

One team were deliberately wetting the ball before throwing it, claiming it “wouldn’t grip to the side of the cup so much, and it’d slip right in” – however this team went out in the first round and CP and Shay reckon there’s a reason for that.

Shay said this costs you grip and you should always dry the ball, with CP adding: “The weight fluctuates between shots and you won’t get used to it.”

Reflecting on the tournament as a whole, the boys said the semi-final was the hardest. Shay said: “We played Ben and Will from The Tab which was probably the toughest.

“The final was pretty close too, and by that point I had definitely passed the aforementioned threshold. It was a good laugh though – shout out to Thilo and EFS for the dope set up.”