What your halls say about you

If you’re anywhere in Camden you probably reckon you’re pretty cool

Now that we’re almost at the end of our first term here, it’s time to find out what your halls really say about you.

They say that married couples start to look and act alike after years of cohabitation.

The same goes for you and your hall mates after weeks of feasting on the same junk food on vodka-soaked nights out at questionable clubs.

Ramsay Hall

Despite being named after Sir William Ramsay, who discovered the noble gases, there is nothing noble about the look of this hall.

It’s one of the most expensive at UCL, therefore filled with hummus-eating, yoga-practicing, avocado worshippers. It’s also one of the largest, throwing together a mix of strange individuals from every background, studying just about every subject there is.

If you are at Ramsay, you probably enjoy a drink or two, and pride yourself on your meaningfully close connection to Coldplay. The lights will guide you home, right?

Also, you love brunch.

Astor College

Unfortunately, Astor is sometimes seen as Ramsay’s uglier, less talented younger sister. On the contrary, Astor residents are fun, vibrant and friendly, despite having to face walking down the road for dinner at Ramsay, which is less than rewarding.

Astor is highly underrated, with residents having just as much fun in an equally central location, but without as much noise.

If you live here, you have probably attempted to start a rivalry with Ramsay Hall, living purely for the thrill of posting videos on the Ramsay Hall Facebook page, chanting your superiority at the top of your lungs.

Ian Baker

Despite being at the centre of Ramsay Hall, Ian Baker is extremely divided from Ramsay, seeing that much smaller and self-catered.

If you are in Ian Baker, you probably feel despair and envy seeing Ramsay and Astor residents flocking to the dining room just outside, which smells like vinegar, barbecue sauce and burnt baked beans… or maybe not.

You probably live for your exclusive kitchen parties, even though they are filled with bugs and can get quite cramped.

Ifor Evans Hall

If you live in Ifor Evans Hall, you are most likely to be a fun, sociable person.

You love a gathering in your common room or, even better, your kitchen, but you also enjoy nights out in Camden clubs, all within walking distance. Your days are filled with inconveniently long treks too and from UCL, or delightful rides on fragrant buses.

Schafer House

Schafer is on the opposite side of Euston Road, and therefore technically, in Camden, adding that extra cool factor.

You are most definitely a hipster, finding yourself through poetry (if you haven’t already found yourself on your magical gap year in Tokelau), and emotional Instagram photos of London landscapes (#vscocam).

You live your life in the search of that perfect caption.

Arthur Tattersall

A small, close-knit residence on Gower Street, Arthur Tattersall is sociably mellow, relaxed, and friendly. In you live here, you are probably an international student, contributing to AT’s diverse feel.

John Tovell

John Tovell is an engineering club house, just leaps from the engineering building in Malet Place. How convenient.

Your wild nights consist of gatherings in the kitchens downstairs, where you play cards and socialize with the other engineers, maybe discuss a bit of mathematical modelling and analysis.

Don’t party too hard guys.

Goldsmid House

If you live in Goldsmid, you are probably a bit tired of telling people where you live. “It’s the one near Victoria”. Sigh.

You probably took a gap year or two, or are a bit older for one reason or another, and keep to yourself most of the time. You are very friendly, and you love getting to know all the international people from your hall.

St Pancras Way (UNITE)

If you live in this hall you are ultra-swanky, enjoying the comforts of your en suite bathroom and double bed as you read this. Basically, we all hate you.

Look at that view.

Intercollegiate Halls

Most people think of Intercollegiate halls as being much less cool compared to purebred UCL halls. It’s unthinkable that UCL students would even consider fraternizing with LSE students, or worse, King’s.

Contrary to popular belief, Intercollegiate halls are a lot of fun, described as “social, but not overly social”, suggesting that the residents have found a perfect balance between study and partying.

Those in Connaught Hall have a special claim to fame: their own bar.