UCLU finally bans Blurred Lines

For those old enough to remember Robin Thicke’s summer hit Blurred Lines... still reading? Great! Well, the controversial tune has at last been shown the door by UCLU.

Having spent 5 weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart and sold more than a million UK copies, the song’s lyrics have caused discussion and debate at universities up and down the country.

Released in March of this year, the hit contains controversial lyrics thought to normalise rape culture and objectify women, a claim Robin Thicke himself has since denounced as “ridiculous”.

robin-thicke-blurred-lines-video
The racy video has been condemned by universities across the country

In September, The Tab reported that ULU had banned the song in support of a call by the NUS for it to be pulled from playlists at British universities.

This followed moves by Edinburgh, Leeds, Kingston, Derby and West Scotland Universities to ban the song, with a joint statement by NUS Women’s Officers branding it as “deeply offensive and dangerous”.

Removing it from a set clearly proved too strenuous a task for one particular DJ however, as the track blared out at the ULU hosted ‘Frat Party’ a fortnight ago. The organisation has since apologised for the “mistake”.

UCLU Women’s Officer Beth Sutton yesterday tweeted UCLU’s decision, claiming “Solidarity with all survivors!” having also been a part of ULU’s campaign which stated “There’s no ‘Blurred Lines’ in consent”.

beth suttz

The news will surely come as good news for all students, for those who aren’t offended by it must surely by now be sick to the back teeth of it.

@tomashoughton
  • Luke

Beyond ridiculous. So many people, and university unions in particular, seem to have such a vendetta against one song, that if people found offensive would not have spent so long at #1. There are songs with much more degrading lyrics that get aired on the daily, and videos with far more nudity/antifeminist imagery, anybody who genuinely thinks any of the artists involved are airing their own views about women seriously would be pretty dense, and it’s certainly not going to make rape or whatever “okay”. It’s a quirky song with quirky lyrics and a quirky video which a lot of people enjoy. Finally, nobody ever banned the Spice Girls from a union, nor any of their songs that objectify men or in which they claim they’re the superior sex.

• Anonymous

Just because other songs are offensive doesn’t mean that this one is any less bad.

True, Blurred Lines has been used as a scapegoat, but it has made a lot of people discuss the fact that popular music normalises misogynistic and otherwise unpleasant behaviour, and surely that’s a good thing for us to be aware of.

Even people trying to defend Blurred Lines usually end up sparking a debate about what we consider “acceptable” in our society admitting that there are plenty of other offensive songs that go unnoticed, just as you have done, Luke. Just as you have done.

• Adam

I agree entirely with Luke, get over yourselves and enjoy the music

• Guy

Bit cheeky to tell people who may have survived a traumatic ordeal involving ‘blurred lines’ to get over themselves and enjoy a song about it, isn’t it Adam?

• Tristan

Because this is the only song in history to objectify women right? Ban this and they might as well ban Nickelback.

• Alex Catling

1984?

• Anonymous

Also a bit unfair on the DJ. Another article in the London Student he said he wasnt given a list of banned songs. Surely that is the unions responsibility.

There’s plenty songs that should probably be looked at in terms of offensive content. This is a good place to start as any.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, News Editor at The Tab London

BNOC of the Year: Group 5

There’s only one spot left

, News Editor at The Tab London

BNOC Group 4 Winner Announced

SELCS Treasures steamrolls his way to the final

, Voxpop Editor of The Tab London

UCL to take strike action from tomorrow

They’re demanding higher pay

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it