UCLU finally bans Blurred Lines

For those old enough to remember Robin Thicke’s summer hit Blurred Lines… still reading? Great! Well, the controversial tune has at last been shown the door by UCLU.

Blurred Lines Robin Thicke sexism UCLU

Having spent 5 weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart and sold more than a million UK copies, the song’s lyrics have caused discussion and debate at universities up and down the country.

Released in March of this year, the hit contains controversial lyrics thought to normalise rape culture and objectify women, a claim Robin Thicke himself has since denounced as “ridiculous”.

The racy video has been condemned by universities across the country

In September, The Tab reported that ULU had banned the song in support of a call by the NUS for it to be pulled from playlists at British universities.

This followed moves by Edinburgh, Leeds, Kingston, Derby and West Scotland Universities to ban the song, with a joint statement by NUS Women’s Officers branding it as “deeply offensive and dangerous”.

Removing it from a set clearly proved too strenuous a task for one particular DJ however, as the track blared out at the ULU hosted ‘Frat Party’ a fortnight ago. The organisation has since apologised for the “mistake”.

UCLU Women’s Officer Beth Sutton yesterday tweeted UCLU’s decision, claiming “Solidarity with all survivors!” having also been a part of ULU’s campaign which stated “There’s no ‘Blurred Lines’ in consent”.

The news will surely come as good news for all students, for those who aren’t offended by it must surely by now be sick to the back teeth of it.