ULU Bans Blurred Lines

The University of London Union has banned the playing of controversial summer smash-hit Blurred Lines. ULU mentioned the decision in a statement titled “There’s no Blurred Lines in consent”  on their […]

The University of London Union has banned the playing of controversial summer smash-hit Blurred Lines.

Most of the controversy has been about rappers using women as roads.

ULU mentioned the decision in a statement titled “There’s no Blurred Lines in consent”  on their website last week:

“We are also happy to announce that we’re also joining the list of students’ unions who will not be playing Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” as we think that that student spaces should promote consent and not normalise rape culture and believe that we should start sending out strong messages to those who capitalise on misogyny on campuses.”

The statement went on to say that while they are banning the song around union media, they would be encouraging many of the feminist parodies of the record to be played by ULU since they “promote consent.”

The move comes in the wake of an announcement in support of the decision by the NUS, and the banning of the catchy number one hit in Student Unions around the country.

The song, by Canadian crooner Robin Thicke featuring Pharrell Williams and rapper T.I., has received increasingly negative media coverage due to its controversial lyrics and racy video.

Many see the song’s message to be aggressively misogynist and promoting of ‘rape culture’, while others have viewed the track as a naughty pop song. Whatever the truth, it’s clear that in ULU’s mind, there aren’t any blurred lines in consent.

Members of UCLU have been unavailable for comment on whether or not they will also take the decision.