Record 6,424 students vote in SO elections

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE IF YOU ARE WATCHING ON CATCH UP.

elections guild SO vote votes voting

Over 6,000 students have voted in the SO elections this year, smashing the previous record of just 5,000. Voting closed at 2pm today, and the results of the election are due to be announced this evening.

The field appears to remain broad, with no clear winner. Inside sources at the Guild have told The Tab that the gap between 1st and 2nd has been incredibly close over the past 24 hours.

Across campus today, candidates have been trying to round up last minute votes, with their campaign teams out in force. Beth Meadows and her campaign team, Ananda, Sean Turner and members of Grace Farnham’s team were all spotted outside the library moments before the vote closed trying to round up a couple more votes.

Sean Turner, current Guild president, said: “What a week! 6424 votes cast. No matter what happens, it’s phenomenal to see a record breaking turnout from our members and that is huge credit to students but, importantly, to 14 incredible candidates and their teams. Bring on the results.”

Katriana Ciccottto, a member of Beth Meadow’s campaign team, told The Tab: “Stopping people on their walk from the SJ to Tesco has been my life this week, but it’s been great listening to people’s positive responses to her policies.

“Beth chose a face-to-face campaigning style which has worked fantastically, and I’m sure this will be reflected in tonight’s result.”

The Tab Liverpool will be live blogging the results tonight, as well as covering the events on Snapchat and Twitter.