An escaped murderer is on the run in Liverpool tonight

Armed men helped him escape

Hide Images

A 28 year old man serving life for a murder escaped from prison custody at 3.05pm in Merseyside today. He was aided by two men with weapons, during a visit to Aintree University Hospital.

Shaun Walmsley had escaped from prison officer custody outside Aintree University Hospital, where Walmsley had had an appointment. He was due to return to HMP Liverpool.

Walmsley was found guilty of brutally slaughtering Anthony Duffy in 2014 near some train tracks in Aintree, over a plan to steal cannabis. Three other men were convicted of Duffy’s murder.

Merseyside Police reported that these men threatened the guards before demanding they release Walmsley. The men then escaped by driving off in a gold-coloured Volvo.

Walmsley was last seen wearing a dark coloured jacket and dark bottoms. He is 6ft tall, white and of slim build with dark brown hair and blue eyes.

The men are believed to be incredibly dangerous and members of the public have been warned not to approach Walmsley or the two other men.

The gunman and the second man believed to be armed with a knife, both had their faces covered. The first man was last witnessed to be wearing grey tracksuit bottoms, grey hoodie, dark coat and white shoes.

The second man, believed to be armed with a knife, also had his face covered.

The Police have called for anyone with information as to their whereabouts to contact the police on 999, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.