Suspected gunman arrested by the Docks this morning

A 19 year old man has been arrested

Docks girearms gun gunman liv uni liverpool Merseyside police shooting

This morning armed police descended on The Strand, by Liverpool One bus station, and arrested a suspected gunman. The police have confirmed they have arrested a 19-year-old man on suspicion of possession of a firearm and criminal damage.

A car was found with its windows smashed and glass strewn on Strand Road just after 7am. This incident includes unconfirmed reports suggesting that a man used a gun to smash the car windows. A silver car, since taken away, was visible within a cordoned off area on The Strand, its left side windows and back window were smashed, leaving shards of glass on the ground. The man was thought to have fled the scene on foot but was detained shortly after at the Echo Arena.

A man was arrested near the Echo Arena on the riverfront

A knife has been recovered but no gun has been traced and both areas were cordoned off for forensic examination.

A police spokesman said: “Merseyside Police can confirm that a 19-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of possession of a Section 1 firearm and criminal damage. This follows an incident on Strand Road this morning where there were reports that a man had possession of what appeared to be a firearm. No firearm has been found but a knife has been recovered as part of the investigation. The man remains in custody awaiting questioning by detectives.”