Liverpool’s University Challenge team smashed Newcastle last night

We overtook them in a Lord of the Rings round

Liverpool’s very own University Challenge team defeated Newcastle in last night’s battle for Jeremy Paxman’s approval, scoring 190 points over Newcastle’s measly 150.

The teams were playing in the quarter final state of the quiz, after Liverpool defeated St Peter’s College Oxford and Southampton. With a current overall score of 585, our team only needs to secure one more round in the quarter finals in order to compete in the semi finals.

Bretherton is how all of us react to UC questions

Our team consisted of Jenny Mcloughlin studying Biological and Medical sciences, Jack Bennett studying Law, Robin Wainwright studying Biological sciences and Ed Bretherton studying Medicine.

It was a slow start for victory, as Newcastle was 70 points ahead before Liverpool had answered their first question correctly. Newcastle continued to be in the lead until Liverpool smashed it out of the park in the Lord of the Rings round, which was possibly the best theme any nerd could ever hope for.

Highlights included the Straight Outta Compton opening the music round, Wainwright’s embarrassment in knowing the Hunger Games novels, and of course Paxman’s irreplaceable sass.

Liverpool  was undoubtedly the Twitter favourite, with everyone swooning at Bretherton’s out-of-place handsomeness, and awing at Wainwright’s nerdy prowess.

We’re incredibly proud of the entire team, and wish them luck for their next challenge.

*Pictures: screenshots from BBC iPlayer