How ket became Liverpool’s favourite drug

Admit it

edm horse ket liverpool mate ok shuffle spoon

A far cry from its equine roots comes a drug for the new generation in all their sweaty shuffling glory.

Ketamine- it’s the drug everyone loves to hate.  It leaves you a heavy-footed dribbling mess, choking on your bridle in awe of the mistress of all things K-Holey.

Simply put, ket is an influential part of our society and is important in defining our identity as students.

“these are my ket shoes”

Without ket, who would be there to shuffle to Renegade Master? Who would buy questionably vintage 90’s chav chic? Who would even consider studying business management? Not to mention the market for Huaraches would crumble.

The assumption is that taking ketamine is the ultimate sign of conformity. But in a world of pseudo-individualism, all student drug taking is in essence conformity. No-one smashes a pill to the soundtrack of chitty chitty bang bang for the sake of individualism, why should they?

The experience as a whole isn’t just the stimulation of the senses but accepting conformity and having fun with others doing the same. These assumptions are what has created this stigma – although the likelihood is that I am indeed wearing an old Adidas jacket I bought from a charity shop for £2, that is irrelevant. I am more than just my Huaraches.

As of 2012 25% of students had already tried Ket, compared to 46% who have tried MD. As use has been on the rise it’s safe to assume that figure is a lot higher now.

his n hers

We spoke to Liverpool dealer Jay* about the rising popularity of the drug and its market.

Unsurprisingly, he told us that the market for it was almost entirely students: “The people who buy ket are almost entirely middle-class students, hardly any people over 30.

“Usually I can shift ket the most at the start of September and October. There’s a lot of keen freshers who want it.”

He says the drug has become a great deal more popular recently:  “I’ve been dealing for a few years now and I’ve never seen it this popular. Students have started buying it with mandy either to help with their come down or use both together.”

Prices have gone up due to demand: “The standard price is usually about £30-£40 a gram, I charge £30 a gram but that changes because of supply and whether you’re a regular customer.”

He thinks that it’s a safer drug for people to be fond of: “It’s good that Liverpool students are embracing drugs other than just pills or MD.

“I’ve had to deal with impure MD just as much as impure Ket so the risk is probably about the same.”

Time after time I hear people shy away from experiencing new things because of other’s contrived opinions. The chances are the person lecturing you on how scummy a drug it is hasn’t even tried it.

This person is usually basing their argument on someone else’s bad experience.  If you’re not and you’re one of the one’s who have been through the dreaded K-hole, you’ve taken too much. You’re a dickhead.

“Have I taken too much?”

Taking a drug originally meant for horses is enough to make anyone say neigh, but the experience you gain through trying new things all together transcends deeper that just stereo-types and overly used horse puns. Guilty, I know.

If you look hard enough you can even find opulence amongst the dirt. Ket can dismantle the stereotype. Ket can be classy.

Ket isn’t just revered for those with an abundance of fresh creps. Ket is for those who choose experience in the face of adversity. Those who choose MDMA over ket are practically applauded despite the fact they’re almost certainly in the same demographic as a ket user. So why is it there so much hostility towards users?

*Names have been changed