Smithdown takeaway and corner shop hammered with zero star hygiene ratings

Finger lickin’ not so good

Two of our favourite food outlets down Smithdown and have been handed a zero star hygiene rating are said to be in need of “urgent improvement” 

Amongst the list of the 25 food outlets in Merseyside to achieve the lowest food standards score possible, two are from Smithdown.

While popular takeaway’s such as Chester’s, Bumper and Dixie’s are safe from the list, Uncle Moa’s was given zero stars.

What’s more, Smithdown’s top off licence Late Night also made it onto the list, achieving the very worst grade.

The hygiene is assessed by local authority hygiene teams and aims to assess the food hygiene of various food outlets, ranging from takeaways and supermarket to restaurants, bars and other food outlets.

The FSA assesses hygiene using three different categories including how hygienically the food is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored; the cleanliness, layout, lighting and ventilation of the building and how the business manages what it does to make sure food is safe.

They are assessed using a star rating system across six different hygiene categories, with five being the highest and zero being the lowest.

The FSA explains that, food outlets who are given a hygiene rating of zero stars “are very likely to be performing poorly in all three elements and are likely to have a history of serious problems”.

A Liverpool hygiene spokesperson explains “We’ve seen a positive trend since the ratings were introduced in 2013.

“Our latest figures show more than half the food outlets have achieved a five rating, 1644 out of 3204, with another 750 gaining a four rating.

“The high ratings are good for the businesses and good for consumers who are able to make informed choices and shows that more and more food outlets are compliant with the highest levels of hygiene.”