The Tab Reviews… Bandsoc Acoustic Night

Tom Jordan reviews Bandsoc’s Acoustic Night

| UPDATED band society bandsoc elevator

There’s a difference between an open mic night and an acoustic night. At the former you expect an old Woodstock veteran or a nervous adolescent to take the stage and play a few tunes for their own experience and enjoyment. The quality is pretty variable but that’s not important.

An acoustic night suggests something different though. To get on the bill you generally have to be getting paid gigs and be at an at least average standard.

This is why the evening was thoroughly disappointing, to put it bluntly. A friend who came along described an act as ‘One of the worst things I’ve ever heard.’

Earlier acoustic nights, like this one, have proved more successful

At an open mic this wouldn’t be a problem, you go along knowing the performers probably won’t be first-class muscians. However, bar a few notable exceptions, the quality remained around the same level. One of the worst examples of this was when an acoustic trio managed to play ‘The Bucket’ (KOL) consistently out of time from start to finish.

The main qualm with this is that when you get booked to play a set, you’re no longer doing it for your own enjoyment; you’re expected to provide a service. Luckily for the musicians much of the audience were supportive friends and family who didn’t seem to mind, but any couple hoping to enjoy a romantic meal on valentine’s day would have had their romantic mood melted, rather than improved.

Veteran bandsoccers doing what they do best

‘Elevator’ (Bandsoc’s new home) is really quite charming though, serving handmade cocktails and prize winning Czech larger in a chic bohemian setting; a combination perfect for any trendy couples sick of the same old spots on Bold St.

The venue, complete with trendy vintage lampshades

Future Bandsoc events with full bands should prove more fruitful. They’re usually great, and they’ll be perfect in such a great venue. Acoustic Night, however, was a bit of a disappointment.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter