Storm Doris wreaked havoc across Leicester

The Met Office issued two weather warnings for Leicestershire, one amber and one yellow warning.

Storm Doris came with a vengeance yesterday, as Leicestershire experienced gusts of wind travelling up to 64mph. This came after The Met Office issued two severe weather warnings, one amber and one yellow warning.

Due to the strong winds, disgruntled commuters had to deal with severe delays to train services. Many East Midlands trains were cancelled throughout the day, including all trains to London.

Some people will be happy to find out that the Engineering Building on campus was shut down after the roof was blown away, and HSBC in the city centre being cornered off after cladding fell off the front of the building. Anyone brave enough to venture across Vicky Park today ran the risk of being squished by trees, but at least this gave us a good excuse to not go to our 9ams.

De Montfort Hall issued a statement yesterday postponing the Mike and the Mechanics concert due to damage to their roof. Just heartbreaking.

There was trouble on the M1 southbound as well, with lanes being closed between J26 and J25 due to unsafe overhead gantry.

Even though Leicester received a battering from Storm Doris today, people have remained in high spirits. Don’t worry freshers, your path to Asda will be safe again soon.

Photo credit – Twitter: @_Jordan_L