A definitive guide to asking that boy out in Leicester

You are welcome

I don’t know about you, but I think there’s no reason for girls to still be nervous about the prospect of asking a guy out.

It’s 2016. Theresa May is Prime Minister, an Olympic athlete spoke about her period on international television and Little Mix have released a catchy song slating their exes. If you’re willing to take the plunge, then read this and thank us later.

Keep it friendly at first

If you were friends first then you’re half way there. Strike up a conversation. Ask them if they’ve started that essay or if they’ll be hitting up Shabang this week. You know the drill. Going straight in all guns blazing can be intimidating for anyone, so just keep your cool.

Go for a bevvy or two

I’m not saying invite him to that champagne bar Jamie Vardy loves, but maybe organise a group of your friends to go for a casual drink and invite him along. Tell him to bring some friends of his own, that way you can still chat to him without that first date scenario awkwardness. And if it all goes horrendously wrong you’ll have plenty of other people to chat to.

‘Never have I ever’ going well

Assess the situation 

You might even find he’s not your cup of tea – maybe he’s more Scholar and you’re more Main Room. It’s just not destined to be. But, because of the “group drinks” label, you can avoid the “bad first date” tag.  If group drinks went well and you both had plenty to talk about, slide into his dms asking if he wants to catch up again, maybe just the two of you this time.

The reply

Don’t get down if he replies with “ah I’m so busy this week, maybe another time.” Maybe he is legitimately busy, or perhaps this is his way of saying he’d rather just be friends. Important to note here: this is not rejection and nor is it embarrassing. You tried something new and asked a guy out, and he just wasn’t feeling it. For centuries boys have been in the same situation, but it hasn’t stopped them, has it? If you don’t believe me, take Tinder as case in point.

Sure, next week’s seminar might be a bit awks, but learn to laugh at yourself and remember you can still be friends. There’s plenty more fish in the sea, and I think it’s time that us girls brought that ball back into our court.

So, what have you got to lose?

Nailed it.