Leicester students stand in solidarity against sexual assault

They reclaimed the night

Last night nearly 100 Leicester students gathered to march in solidarity with those affected by sexual violence and to highlight the dangers of walking alone at night. Leicester activists really did Reclaim the Night.

The march was a poignant and successful reminder of the caring community that exists in Leicester. Ellie Eaton, a third year geography student said: “I’m here today to support people who face violence in the past and haven’t had the support for it. Often people aren’t taken seriously and everything is brushed away as a non-issue.

“I just want to show people that people do really care, and there are people that want to support them.”

Ellie was not alone in this. The march started at the clock tower in Leicester and made its way through the city centre before activists convened at the Victoria Park Memorial Building.

In a poignant moment of harmony, attendees held candles in a one minute silence to show solidarity with those affected by sexual assault and then tied blue ribbons on the gates in front of the memorial.

This physical reminder of the march will show students and lecturers who walk through the park every day how this is not an issue that can continue to be brushed away. Although a community exists, there is still a huge problem that needs to be addressed.

Second year student Millie said: “People are aware it happens but it just gets swept under the carpet. People think you can’t talk about it, but we need to talk about it if we want things to change.”

Another Leicester student told us how just the other day, a Landlord used the “safe and well lit area at night” as a selling point for a student house they were looking at. She was shocked at how walking home alone at night was still something she had to think about.

Although RTN is evidence of how Leicester students want things to change, it is more obvious now than ever that governments, establishments, and universities need to be on board. Student Naomi said: “We need authority figures to address it, because if they don’t there’s only so much a grass roots movement can do to stop it.”

Girl Power

When asked if RTN will be a call to the wider community to do more, Naomi added “Absolutely. We need to raise awareness not just in Leicester, but everywhere.”

Thank you Leicester Femsoc and students, for proving that we can #reclaimthenight and for showing that we will tackle issues of sexual violence and gender inequality together.