We asked Leicester students what they think about the US Presidential Election

Spoiler: They all hate Trump

From dressing up as Donald Trump for Halloween to throwing effigies of him on the bonfire, the British just can’t stop getting involved in the US Election. Maybe it’s because ours were so shit (how on earth were we meant to choose between Ed Miliband and David Cameron) or maybe it’s because Donald Trump’s hair just can’t be ignored, but everyone in the UK seems to have some form of opinion on the topic.

The same can be said for Leicester – we’re so keen that the Loaded Dog will be covering the election all night long on Tuesday – so we thought it was time to figure out just what Leicester students thought of the whole scenario:

Charley, 19, first year, Criminology

“Obama forever man!”

“The whole thing is so messed up. Hillary Clinton is not amazing but, anything but Donald Trump please, I mean let’s be realistic, this guy is crazy. I just wish Obama could stay forever.”

Atticus, 22, fourth year, Maths

“Clinton is a criminal and Trump is stupid.”

“The fact that both of them have ended up being the last candidates show how biased America is. It’s basically all about who believes the best lies and choosing the lesser of the two evils. I’m suspicious about Hillary and the emails controversy, and Trump on the other hand is just an opportunist who’s really good at making a fool of himself. Hillary has obviously the skills and the experience, but it’s a tricky one”

Sam Thompson, 19, first year, History

“They’re both poop.”

“I think it’s bloody shite how they have to pick between two absolute reprobates: a criminal and a serial racist and sexist. They’re both poop but I would vote for Hillary as a safe bet for those who would lose out if Trump were to win.”

Kerat Jandu, 20, second year, Politics and Economics

“Sexist, racist, hate mongering buffoon”

“I think it’s clear to say that the presidential election has failed to provide viable candidates to govern the supposedly “greatest democracy” in the world. If I were an American citizen I would, with great reluctance, vote for Hillary just to avoid the prospect of a sexist, racist, hate mongering buffoon becoming the next leader.”

Ed, 19, first year, Economics and Politics

“It’s all about entertainment and publicity, not politics”

“As a person looking in from the outside, the American election looks as though it’s all about entertainment and publicity, not politics. Rarely in the news do I hear of actual policies either Clinton or Trump want to implement when in power, but rather a barrage of insults about each others personalities. If I had the chance to vote in the US election, I would reluctantly vote for Hilary, because she has political experience and a safe pair of hands.”

Diego, 21, second year Economics student

“It is like choosing between two diseases”

“It is a shame for a country that claims it self the leader of the free world to have such embarrassing presidential candidates. Indeed, to me it is like choosing between two diseases, the less life threatening has to be chosen, but none actually brings the country and its people forward. As an American citizen my vote would go for Hillary Clinton despite all the controversies surrounding her service as a state secretary.”

The votes are in and somewhat unsurprisingly Hillary Clinton seems to be the reluctant choice of Leicester students. The situation in America seems less certain, with both candidates neck-and-neck in the polls. Clinton is currently only marginally ahead.