Leicester’s SU is giving away tampons for free

See ya later tampon tax

This month meninist Ryan Williams came under fire for tweeting that menstruating women should “just hold their bladder”. He told the Tab “Tampons are not a necessity. It’s like bottled water” without realising women do not in fact bleed from their bladder.

Before I start banging my head against the table in desperation at Ryan’s pure stupidity, we have to remember that for every idiot like Ryan Williams, there is a badass like Halima Nabahan who started the petition to make tampons and sanitary towels free. The petition, which has gained nearly 48,000 signatures already, shows how many people agree that the thousands of pounds women spend on their periods is absurd.

So, lets raise a glass to the University of Leicester who have free tampons at the Union Reception desk. Although there are not enough tampons to give every woman at the university a free period, it’s a definite step in the right direction.

It’s raining tampons in the SU

Halima’s petition does highlight that free contraception is absurd in comparison to heavily taxed sanitary products (“Menstruation is a lot harder to refrain from than sex”). However, it’s great to be part of a university that does not ignore the ludicrous fact tampons and sanitary products cost women a lot of money and doesn’t shy away from promoting safe sex.

We love you, Leicester.

You can sign the petition here.