Flyers addressing unequal female pay have appeared on Leicester’s campus

They are aimed at President and Vice Chancellor Paul Boyle #allforpaul

This week, flyers addressing unequal female pay at Leicester started appearing on Campus.

The flyers mock the HeForShe campaign branding to undermine Vice Chancellor Paul Boyles £330k a year salary and career advancement plans in the light of the suggested wide gender pay gap amongst professors at the University of Leicester.

They say that “Leicester tops the gender pay gap league” and “gender inequality is the norm.”

The Flyers titled “Boyle Career Advancement” have mockingly launched the #allforpaul campaign in an effort to draw attention to the problems of labelling the university a HeForShe “Impact Champion” due to the suggested level of gender inequality at the University of Leicester.

The controversial closure of the Vaughan Centre for lifelong learning takes precedence in the flyer, suggesting its closure “will disproportionately affect women, who make up three-quarters of its employees and a similar proportion of its students.”

Leicester’s HeForShe campaign branch have stated that they are not behind the campaign.

A spokesperson for the University of Leicester said: “We are aware of literature circulating which raises several issues pertaining to the university. With regard to allegations concerning working contracts and female academic pay, the university has active working groups in these areas, and has recently been chosen as one of only 10 universities in the world to be global IMPACT champions for ‘HeforShe’- the UN flagship gender equality movement. In keeping with our commitments as a gender equality champion, we have recently appointed a Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Equality and Diversity to help deliver our ambitious plans to celebrate and champion equality and diversity at the university.

“With respect to the suggestion that the closure of the Vaughan Centre disproportionately affects women, it is worth noting that, across the university, female students represent approximately 52 per cent of the total student population. Indeed it is only in part-time and distance learning programmes that men are in the majority. Over 50 per cent of staff at the University are female.”

So, is the University of Leicester really #allforgenderequality ? Watch this space.