What’s the best halls in Leicester?

If you live here, there’s never any question of if you’re going out- of course you are. Lets Disko, yes please.

Student cribs at Leicester come in all shapes and sizes. From the North Korean Prison Camp of Mary Gee, to the cyclical tree houses of JoFo. But where’s the best place to live in Leicester that provides space to play Ring of Fire, without sucking dry your Maintenance Loan?

John Foster (JoFo)

Look, whether you want to admit it or not, we all looked at John Foster at first and part of you wished that you lived there. Deep down part of you knew, and still knows, that if you live in JoFo you’re among the Oadby elite, towering above the rest, looking down on the peasants who surround you. But at what price? The rest of the student village looks at you and all they see is “I’ve got a trust fund.” Lets be honest, for the extra money you pay to live in JoFo, what do you really get? You’re literally paying for your own bathroom and the shortest walk to the OSV Post Room, for when you have to pick up your latest ASOS order of those “fresh New Balance creps” that you just had to have. All in all, JoFo is nicer looking, but is it worth it?

Biggest perk about JoFo is the kitchen I reckon

Digby

Digby is the perfect middle of the road accomodation between being a “mummy and daddy dropped me off this term in the Mercedes” JoFo resident, and the “I forgot to apply for accomodation” Mary Gee veteran. There’s just something about Digby. Maybe it’s the fact that everyone forgets it exists, leaving Digby-ites to keep to themselves. Maybe it’s the fact that walking around Digby feels like being in an Olympic Village: lots of people who look lost, wandering around in joggers, who would definitely fail a drug test. Whatever it is, with Digby you know exactly what you’re going to get- a bed, a sink and a staircase thats perfect for hosting those pre-drink parties.

Gilbert Murray and Stamford

OSV’s prison block? Only Oadby’s bravest live here. Never again will you see more Leicester University sports hoodies in one place than the GMS dining hall. It seems if you live here you live for your sports team and you just don’t give a shit what anyone else has to say about it. You’re here to get involved, get drunk, and then maybe, just maybe, go to Uni on occasion.

Unless you live in Bowder, then you’re about to polish off your best Brogues and get the lint roller on your favourite Sorrento Coat, because you mean business. In Bowder there’s none of this ‘popping to Uni for an hour in your joggers’, you’re going all out, or you’re not going. But regardless of the two extremes of GMS, if you live here you fit the bill of ‘It’s only first year, I only need 30% to pass’.

Beaumont Hall

The only place in Oadby where you know your block is about as asthetically pleasing as the Charles Wilson Building, but for some reason you’re dead proud to live there. Beaumont is the definition of simplicity in Oadby. Bed, Sink, shared bathroom, done. But glorious things happen there. If you mill around Beaumont and ask the students where their first choice of Uni was, hardly any of them will say Leicester. Life here holds the faint smell of the crushed dreams of students who had the likes of Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester in their sights as their first choice. But through this comes the wafting aroma of positivity and excitment, nothing is holding this rowdy bunch down as they make do, and settle into their new surroundings. If you live here, there’s never any question of if you’re going out- of course you are. Lets Disko, yes please.

How disgusting

Freemen’s Common and Mary Gee

The dregs of Leicester accommodation, or the Aldi amongst Waitrose and M&S. Freemen’s and Mary Gee are about as simple as halls get. So simple that you may find remnants of the previous resident of your room in the form of toast crumbs or hair, cuddling up to the cobwebs and dust in the corners and cracks of the room.

Two toilets and showers are shared between ten students, cupboard and kitchen space is sparse, but hey- if you signed up for the student life, this is where it’s at. With the cheapest rent, Commers and Gee’s are laughing. Gee’s can spend that extra cash on more food, and not whimper at taxi fares. And Commoners are a mere five minute walk from Campus.

Sure, the occasional outbreak of bedbugs or visits from furry creatures make these two diamonds a little rough around the edges- but edgy and streetwise students are made here. And you wanna be them.

If Freemen’s wasn’t enough of a dump already…

Opal Court

Crawling with post-grads and foreign student, Opal offers you the opportunity to live near Uni, away from the horrors of Freemen’s Common. If you live here, the odds are that you’re ready to work hard, not play hard- the time for play will come when you’re an absolute baller, CEO of some big company somewhere, drinking cocktails in your suave as fuck suit, going on nights where Shabang is your pre-drinks.

Nixon court 

Sorry, who are you?