Third year pair discover Minions’ genes are just like ours

But don’t ask why

Just when you thought the hype over Minions had reached fever pitch, two mental natural scientists decided to take this wet craze to the next level.

Krisho Manoharan and Ruth Sang Jones, both Leicester third years, have written a paper entitled: “Unravelling the minion genome”.

Krisho, one of the authors of the paper

Ruth, who’s starting her MSc this September, said: “There were so many directions we could have taken with the paper that we really had to sit down and narrow down what we wanted to focus on

“I’m a huge fan of the Despicable Me films and find the Minions incredibly cute.

I bet these girls are thrilled the genome of their costume has been sequenced

“As Krisho and I were brainstorming ideas for the Journal, we kept coming back to the Minions and felt that we absolutely had to do something related to them.”

Kris, now graduated, said: “It basically involved looking at a Minion and seeing what their key features were.

“Once we had, we saw that we could relate their hypothetical genes to ones found in humans.

“After that it was basically finding genes that suited their key features. The best part of the research was measuring my housemates leg as reference to estimate a minions height in comparison to a male of average height.”

Ruth also co-authored the paper

The article, which promises to be a thrilling read, features in the latest edition of the hotly anticipated Journal of Interdisciplinary Science Topics, a student-only publication which features other riveting research topics such as “Investigating the Force Fields in the 75th Hunger Games” and “A scientific approach to being “All About That Bass”.

Their findings, thankfully routed in hard science, include the ground-breaking revelation that: “There could, in theory, be an evolutionary link between humans and minions”

Their supervisor, Dr Cheryl Hurkett from the Centre for Interdisciplinary Science, described the paper as “brilliant” and patronisingly said: “An important part of being a professional scientist is the ability to make connections between the vast quantity of information students have at their command, and being able to utilise the knowledge and techniques they have previously mastered in a new or novel context.”