Our new medicine centre will be one of UK’s greenest buildings

We’re really at one with the planet

Leicester’s new medical centre is on track to be one of the most environmentally friendly buildings in the UK.

In case you’ve missed the heavy construction and the bold signage on University Road/Lancaster road, Leicester University is building a £42 million centre for medicine.

Builders of the centre have been influenced by the Germans and their high standards for saving energy.

The new centre will boast a green wall and roof to attract insects and birds, a crucial part of any medical building obviously.

Artist’s impression of new medical centre

The uni aim to open the centre during the next academic year and believe it’ll transform the teaching of medicine and improve treatment for Midlands patients.

So here’s the financial facts: £32m is funded from resources and an optimistic £10m public appeal is in place, which a fifth of the target has been raised.

Paul Nesbitt, operations manager of the construction company Willmott Dixon (you can’t miss their signage) said:

“The University of Leicester’s new Centre for Medicine will achieve Passivhaus accreditation.” (After a google that basically means it’s super energy efficient).

Sorry Maurice Shock, you’re just not efficient enough any-more </3

Construction are ensuring the building is air tight to prevent heat escaping through windows, walls, floor and roof. It’ll have state-of-the-art heating, cooling and ventilation system, with our unpredictable climate it’s a godsend.

The building will not have your bog standard double glazing, no sir, all the windows will be triple glazed. In addition, a 1.6km underground heat recovery pipe network will provide free air conditioning and temperature control to the building.

University users (not the drug kind) from the college of Medicine, Biological Sciences and Psychology have been very involved with design and input into the building.

We know who to blame if it’s rubbish then.