University of Leicester joins the HeForShe Campaign

Even Emma Watson backed us up

The University of Leicester has become one of only ten universities in the world to support UN Women’s “HeforShe” campaign for gender equality.

HeForShe is a solidarity campaign which helps males to confront the continuous inequalities that are faced by women around the world.

The movement aims to get males to put themselves forward as advocates of gender equality so they can spread awareness and inspire action to eliminate discrimination against women.

President and Vice Chancellor Professor Paul Boyle pledged his commitment to gender equality in the workplace and was determined to get the University involved in a global campaign.

Emma Watson, who is the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, even gave us a shout out in a recent facebook status.

Professor Boyle said: “Men and women have a joint responsibility to achieve gender equality for societies around the world. 

We should aim to deliver fundamental change within a generation, so that organisations such as HeForShe become redundant and my two daughters and two sons take it for granted that they will be judged on their merits, not their gender.”

The University of Leicester’s commitments to gender equality include closing the gap between men and women in key academic and career areas, raising awareness of gender norms, biases and gaps, and including men in the discussion to ensure gender equality is embedded in university culture.