Leeds LGBT+ Society refuse to campaign against concentration camps

Up to 100 men have already been detained

Hide Images

Leeds LGBT+ Society is being accused of failing to support a national rally to be held in Leeds condemning the Chechen concentration camps, reportedly torturing and slaying gay men.

Reports surfaced last week in the regions’ independent newspaper, Novaya Gazeta, that Chechen Security Forces had launched a ‘prophylactic sweep’ against gay men in the region. It was reported that up to 100 men had been detained in concentration camps, with at least 3 already murdered at the hands of Officials.

The event, organised by Antony Riley and planned for Saturday 22nd April, is intended to “show our solidarity and support and [to] bring attention to the ongoing issue.”

In doing so Antony called on the LGBT+ committee for support to demonstrate how representative and diverse our community is and to demonstrate “how proud we are of our community in Leeds and show our respect for our counterparts in Chechnya.”

The rally will take place on Saturday the 22nd of April

The LGBT+ Society have clarified their position to The Tab saying that as a welfare society they are unable to campaign on political issues.

Their spokesperson said, “Personally I would be swinging a lefty liberal flag from the Parkinson Building if I could but we have to work together as a community and people didn’t want a political society, so we stay welfare.”

“Given how turbulent things are, I imagine we will soon be back to being political again, but it does have to be done through proper procedures.”

It seems ironic that as we celebrate just 50 years of partial decriminalisation of homosexuality here in the UK, the LGBT+ Society is prepared to turn its back on others without the privilege we enjoy. Perhaps the LGBT+ Society is in need of ‘checking its privilege.’

In a world where LGBT+ people are still persecuted, imprisoned and murdered for who they are, it is bewildering that Leeds LGBT+ Society refuses to support action to show solidarity with our brothers and sisters abroad.

You can find out more about the rally here.