The places you should avoid in Leeds this Valentine’s Day

A comprehensive list of the places for the less-smitten to steer clear from on the 14th Feb.

Hide Images

While we all have a slightly territorial love for our University’s location, Leeds admittedly becomes adorned with Valentine’s themed events, decorations and merchandise at this time of year. While this is all well and good for the besotted couples among us, there are some situations or locations for the singletons or less sickly pairs which are quite frankly, best avoided come 14th Feb. To salvage the sanity of many, let us venture through the various scenarios and situations which are almost guaranteed to reinforce the lesser opinion that many hold of Valentine’s Day.

The Alchemist

Unless you want to bump into EVERY couple in Leeds, don’t head to the most generic date spot the city has to offer. With its impressive and exotic cocktail menu, all daters set to impress will be headed to The Alchemist this Valentine’s day.

Valentine’s Day showings of Fifty Shades Darker

For the less imaginative couple, a trip to the cinema to see the new Fifty Shades of Grey film may be on the cards, if only to source more creative ideas for the bedroom. My advice? Avoid. Plus, Jamie Dornan isn’t the kind of man anyone wants to be watching for two hours with the knowledge they’ll soon be returning home to Brudenell Avenue alone.

Instagram

In fact, avoid all social media in general. It’s the day of the year that trumps all others when it comes to social media barbarity. Your feeds are bound to be riddled with photographs of the Sainsbury’s local chocolate truffle box or “the boyf did good” captions, which, I find it hard to believe anyone wants to come across on their Facebook timeline. It’s also inevitable you’ll come across the sarky singleton attacking the day as being one big excuse for commercialism (much like the tone of this very article).

Yorkshire Dales

Do feel free to head to Ilkley for a morning walk, but make sure you’re long gone before the happy couples turn up to capture the aforementioned Instagram shot of the sunset. #goals

Victoria’s Secret (or any of the multiple lingerie shops in the Leeds)

I’m as partial to an overpriced bra from VS as the next girl, however upon entrance you’re sure to be met with a wide array of red and pink lace. Wait until next week when you’ll be able to peruse to your hearts content without ‘gifts for my boo’ (yes that’s a real VS slogan) jumping out at you.