Hips don’t lie: Study reveals the best dance moves when trying to pull

And no, dabbing isn’t one of them

A new scientific study has revealed that dancing with a significant hip swing while moving your legs independently is rated high on the scale of attractiveness.

Published in Scientific Reports, the study exposes the very specific patterns of dance analysed from the movements of 39 female dancers paired with the ratings of 200 people evaluating their performance.

Motion-capture technology was used to record the movements and was animated into an avatar for each dancer, ensuring that appearance did not sway judgement. 57 men and 143 women watch the animated performances and issued ratings after each.

The results not only deemed that hip swings and independent leg movements made for an striking performance, but also indicated high fertility and high-quality motor control.

The lead researcher Dr. Nick Neave, said: “One is, they’re showing off their reproductive quality, perhaps their hormonal status, to males, another is, they’re showing off how good they are to female rivals.”

This study is partnered with earlier research conducted by the Northumbria team in 2011, finding that: “Socially desirable personality traits, including extraversion, conscientiousness, and emotional stability, have been found to correspond positively to women’s ratings of men’s dance attractiveness. Traits related to risk-taking are attractive in male partners, and also seem to predict more attractive dance movements.”