The wonderful world of vintage fashion in Leeds

Vinyl’s are not the only blast from the past which are currently thriving in Leeds

Though Leeds is rapidly growing as a modern city, vintage fashion and recycled denim is a huge part of the cities fashion scene, for many reasons. The demand for this style is fuelled by the vast number of vintage fairs and renovation workshops in the city, all of which are centred around students. Students are the main force for helping vintage fashion thrive in Leeds, for many reasons, including the diversity and originality of the clothing.

Vintage Fairs in Leeds University Student Union and Leeds Beckett Student Union:

In the space of just one week, there were two vintage fairs in the universities in Leeds, both of which I attended, to explore why students are falling in love with the vintage fashion scene, and how they are keeping the past alive through what they wear.

Two student unions, transformed into an Aladdin’s cave of vintage pieces for every style of student. When asking students in Leeds University what they liked about vintage clothing, they all agreed that the style was vibrant and unique, unlike anything they would find on the contemporary high-street. Almost everybody also highlighted another key advantage to shopping vintage and that was the great price.

Joe Mason- ‘Desperately trying to fit the edgy Leeds aesthetic’

Some students also said that vintage fashion ‘tends to have more vibrant colours and patterns, I also like the shape, they suit me better’. Similarly, other students said ‘I prefer them to the mainstream clothes, because high street clothes all look the same’ and ‘I like vintage fashion because my style is very reflective of that time period’.

There was a similar response at the ‘Weigh and Pay’ Vintage Fair, as while I admired the vintage pieces and prices, I asked some more students what they liked about vintage fashion. They praised how there is so much variety, and how it feels good to wear designs from many different years, at a price of only £15 per Kilo.

‘I like vintage fashion because of the originality and sustainability of the clothes. We are recycling the clothes, rather than putting them in land fill. Things were better made then, and these clothes have stood the test of time’- Katy, worker at the ‘Weigh and Pay Vintage Fair’

You are never too far away from a vintage event in Leeds, especially if you are a student. Upcoming events include…

Vintage Sale in Leeds University Union- 13th February 2017, 9.30- 17.30

LRFS Denim Workshop- 15th February 2017, Leeds University Student Union

The Denim workshop is a fantastic opportunity to recycle and renovate your denim and help you transform your pre- loved denim into something completely unique and creative. Jonny highlighted the importance behind the denim workshop as he said:

‘The high amount of water which is used in cotton makes it difficult to produce in a sustainable way. We should not be throwing denim away, because it is made to last! Denim is a technically strong fibre, and the workshop teaches people how to create a design that no one else has. People always want things that are different, so to have something unique on your denim is very popular’.

Jonny (2nd year, fashion design student)

I also asked Cat Patterson, a graduate of the London College of Fashion and founder of ‘Swetshop’:

Why do you think recycling denim is an important part of the fashion industry?

‘Denim is one of the most durable long lasting materials used in fashion. The process of dying and producing new denim wear is harmful to the environment so upcycling denim is an effective way to produce looks.’

Why do you think denim workshops are a good opportunity for students?

‘Denim workshops are a great way for students to express and show their creative flair. With denim, not being a dated look, it’s easy to personalise and keep up with the trends.’

How easy is it to be creative with denim/ portray your own personal style?

‘Denim is a very durable fabric that can be manipulated by multiple processes and still hold together. By fraying, bleaching, embroidering, riveting etc it can easily be personalised to the wearer’s needs.’

Find out more about the Denim Workshop and the Swetshop here:

https://m.facebook.com/swetshopevents/

https://www.facebook.com/events/398753327128998/?ti=icl