Every reason why the Leeds Christmas market is a bit rubbish this year

Fun at the Leeds Christmas market is just absent as the beer tent

The general consensus seems to be that the German Christmas Market has hit a disappointing new low. But why? Is it just too expensive? Or has the removal of the beer tent ruined everyone’s festive cheer? It was an integral attraction to thousands of visitors, and remains one of the most firmly established German Markets in the UK, but now this year it’s jovial atmosphere seems to have been ruined. From a beloved festive event to a disillusioned mockery of previous markets in Leeds, what has gone wrong this time?

Complaints have resounded far and wide the past couple of weeks since the market opened on Millennium Square in November. The first, and most thunderous grievance, was the tragic loss of the beer tent in an attempt to make the market more family orientated. In truth, the market perhaps loses some of its magic when not seen through a somewhat glazed eye. It might have made the event more accessible to families, but it seems to have lost its allure to many students and others who were relying on the beer tent for a good time. Maybe everyone needed the alcohol to enjoy it beforehand, because now that it’s become family friendly, the excitement is just as absent as the tent itself.

There are a few new features this year: Santa’s Breakfast experience in the Alp Chalet most Sunday mornings, and the Ski Hutte Bar. In an attempt to create and maintain a new atmosphere for the market, it seems that they have fallen a little short. All of the German delicacies, gingerbread and candied fruits in the world might not be able to make up for the overwhelming disappointment that the market has been for many.

As for the festive music, one person commented that the only entertainment available was “two old men in hats” when they visited the market last week. Let’s hope that it wasn’t the weekly children’s show.

Overall, the primary assessment of the 2016 Leeds German Christmas Market seems to be a poor one, let down by the lack of atmosphere, expensive prices, fewer stalls, and perhaps most importantly, the absence of the beer tent. While some visitors have enjoyed the alterations to the market this year, many more have issued their complaints and will not be returning. Maybe they will return the beer tent to its rightful place when it is realised that most people have to be at least a little drunk to enjoy the experience.