LUU officially backs the Remain campaign

‘Our position to back Remain is Union policy, and not stating it would be breaking that policy’

LUU has officially backed the Remain campaign ahead of today’s Referendum, when Britain will go to the polls to decide whether to keep the UK a member of the European Union.

The country’s largest students’ union,  which represents over 31,000 students, made its declaration yesterday afternoon.

They followed in the footsteps of Professor Sir Alan Langlands, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Leeds, who joined 102 other University Vice-Chancellors in signing an open letter to voters declaring their personal support for the Remain campaign.

Despite the decision being voted on by Students, at the democratic Better Union Forum, the decision hasn’t been met with universal agreement, with some students expressing their dissatisfaction at LUU’s decision to support Remain.

Union Affairs Officer Toke Dahler said: “It’s great to see students getting involved in the debate surrounding the EU Referendum, it’s the vote of a generation and engaging students is so important.

“It was proposed through our democratic structures to have a stance against Brexit, and it passed. Our position to back Remain is Union policy, and not stating it would be breaking that policy.

“As a students’ union we regularly campaign on issues affecting students, and it’s fair to say that the result of the EU referendum will have an impact on student life.

“We respect and encourage a difference of opinion and would expect the membership to hold differing views. Because of the magnitude of the decision and the impact on students we hope that students do turn out and use their ballot today“

Polls opened this morning at 7am and will close this evening at 10pm.