Labour MP shot and stabbed in Leeds

Mother-of-two Jo Cox has been attacked in Birstall

Labour MP Jo Cox, 41, has been shot and stabbed in her constituency near Leeds.

The attack took place near the town’s library where she held advice surgeries.

There are reports that another man has also been injured and is lying in the road.

An eyewitness told the Yorkshire Post that a man has been put in an ambulance. A police helicopter is hovering overhead.

West Yorkshire Police have tweeted saying, “We are aware of a serious incident ongoing in Birstall. Details will be released in the press in due course.”

MP Jo Cox is a Labour MP for Batley and Spen, and won the seat in the 2015 general election.

Eyewitness Hithem Ben Abdallah told the Press Association: “There was a guy who was being very brave and another guy with a white baseball cap who he was trying to control and the man in the baseball cap suddenly pulled a gun from his bag.

“He was fighting with her and wrestling with her and then the gun went off twice and then she fell between two cars and I came and saw her bleeding on the floor.”

Cox is now being treated at Leeds General Infirmary – her injuries are said to be “serious”.

According to fellow Labour MP Maria Eagle, the attacker shouted “Britain First” before shooting.

West Yorkshire police said: “At 12.53 today, police were called to a report of an incident on Market Street, Birstall, where a woman in her 40s had suffered serious injuries and is in a critical condition.

A man in his late 40s to early 50s nearby also suffered slight injuries.

Armed officers attended and a 52-year-old man was arrested in the area. There are no further details at present.

Police presence in the area has been increased as a reassurance to the community.”