Meet the Leeds trainer who eats 4,500 calories a day

He says it’s fine to eat pizza

Oli Tennant always consumes 4,500 calories a day. That’s almost twice as much as the average man.

The Leeds based Personal Trainer, who graduated from Northumbria University with a BSc (Hons) in Applied Sport and Exercise Science, claims that no food should be deemed off-limits to achieve the body of your dreams.

That includes donuts and pizza.

“There’s a common misconception in the fitness industry that there are ‘good’ and ‘bad’ foods,” Oli explains. “People think that these foods will determine if we lose or gain weight.”

He adds: “That’s just rubbish. There are no ‘good’ and ‘bad’ foods. There are proteins, carbohydrates and fats – they all contain calories.

“To lose fat you have to be in a calorie deficit. To gain weight you have to be in a calorie surplus. It’s that simple.”

The Castleford – born coach tracks his macronutrients (carbohydrate, protein and fat) that he consumes on a daily basis using a fitness app.

This has enabled him to slowly add a small number of calories to his weekly intake, allowing his metabolism to adjust over time.

Ultimately, he currently consumes a bulky 4,500 calories a day, while adding minimal levels of fat to his body.

But the 25-year-old, who has experience of training clients both in the UK and Australia, claims that people have a preconceived idea that flexible dieters only eat junk food.

“It’s simply not the case” argues Oli. “The majority of my daily 4,500 calories comes from healthy, nutrient dense foods – that help reach adequate micronutrients (vitamins, minerals etc), and fibre intake. This also allows greater freedom for more calorie dense delicacies such a Krispy Kreme doughnuts or tasty restaurant desserts.”

Typically he’ll tuck in to a bowl of porridge with fruit every morning. Lean meat with either potatoes, pasta, or rice, with veg, are usual meals throughout the day, with desserts consisting of either a frozen yoghurt concoction or rice pudding.

Despite training multiple clients, he’ll also still find the time to lift weights six times a week.

“Off the shelf diets will often last for a couple of weeks, only for people to fall off the wagon late in to an evening when they starting craving their favourite snack,” he says. “As no foods are off limits within flexible dieting, it’s a sustainable lifestyle choice that’s simple to maintain.”

You can sign up to Oli’s weekly newsletters, or read his latest blog post here.