First Buses cut fares to £1 on services across Leeds students

Quid’s in thanks to Leeds University Union

From Monday, 18th April, First Bus journeys on the numbers, 1, 6, 56 and other bus routes will be just £1.00 for all university students in Leeds.

This includes Leeds Beckett, Leeds College of Art, Leeds University, Leeds Trinity and Leeds City College.

Jonny Foster, Community Officer at LUU, with First Bus

The two month trial will run until Friday 18th of June and will cover journeys from Morrisons, Merion Centre, up to Weetwood Sports Facility, Headingly Stadium and Oxley Halls.

The deal comes after months of work from LUU’s Jonny Foster, Community Officer, working with First Buses to make travel to university and around the city more affordable for students.

Jonny says ‘this really is a case of use it or lose it – if take up on this £1 fare is not popular, First Buses will not make it a permanent feature. So please make sure you use this opportunity – you said you needed it so show us you’re using it.’ 

If the scheme is a success First have hinted at making the arrangement a permanent feature potentially extending their offering to students with a 30% discount on fares across the whole of West Yorkshire from September 2016.

The £1 ticket will be available on the following services on presentation of a valid university student card:

To/from University towards Headingley

• Services 1 and 6 – Ring Road (for Weetwood Sports) to University
  • Service 28 Foxhill Avenue (for Oxley) to University
  • Service 97 Lawnswood School (on Spen Road) to University
  • Service 56 Carnegie Stadium (North Lane) to University

To/from University towards City

• Service 1 City Square/Bishopgate St to University
  • Services 6. 28, 97 Bus & Coach Station or Eastgate to University
  • Service 28 Liberty Dock to University

To/from Morrisons and St John’s Centre (Woodhouse Lane/Albion St stops)

• Services 1, 6, 28 and 97 to/from Headingley Arndale
  • Service 56 to/from Carnegie stadium