Manchester is just a crap version of Leeds

Truth

When it comes to uni rivalry, after the whole North vs South argument has been put aside, Leeds vs Manchester is the next big thing. They may be an hour apart on the train, but the two cities are close enough it has led to people questioning: why would you go to Manchester when you could just go to Leeds? I mean, isn’t Manchester just a shitty version of Leeds anyway?

Leeds is a place of inspiration and excitement to many; J. R. R. Tolkien got his idea for the two towers from the buildings in the city, half of Bastille were born here, and it is here that Alt-J were inspired to create their iconic, indie-rock sound. Chris Pine also graced our city, and university, with his presence during his study abroad year, staying on our very own Brudenell Road. And Manchester? They have Nick Grimshaw, arguably not really as impressive. I mean, sure, there’s also The 1975, but even Grimsby has Ella Henderson; being the birth place of one mediocre band does not make you anything special. They’re not even very good – they won the NME Worst Band award in 2014.

Nick Grimshaw couldn’t put on a show like Bastille

I will admit: the football scene in Manchester is, understandably, pretty impressive – only an idiot would try to argue against that when faced with the fact Manc is home to two of the top five teams in the country. BUT, at least Leeds United fans actually come from Leeds, and although we may be in the league below the Manchester teams, at least we don’t kick up a fuss like a tantruming toddler and try to change the qualification rules just because we’re losing. The point is irrelevant, however, because we have the Leeds Rhinos, and rugby is better than football in almost every single way. Manchester isn’t even good at a decent sport.

Rugby is a real man’s sport

Also, we have Trinity, which happens to be one of the newest – and arguably best – shopping centres in the country. Its sleek outward appearance, abundance of high street and designer shops, and collection of fantastically hipster restaurants such as the New Conservatory, and Trinity Kitchen, blows its Manchester counter-part – the Trafford Centre – out of the water. By all means go to the Trafford Centre if you want a cheeky nandos, or a sassy KFC, but not if you want a bit of culture or class. You’re better than that.

Don’t get a view like that in Manchester

And don’t even get me started on the nightlife; the club scene in Leeds is second to none, with a range of pubs, clubs and bars big enough that even the most picky can find a place to drink. Nights at LUU’s Fruity Friday are legendary, and the renowned Otley Run leaves even the most hardened drinkers crying into the toilet bowl at the end of the night. Manchester may have the Didsbury Dozen, but that’s child’s play in comparison to our infamous Otley Run. Plus, every step you take on the Otley Run takes you further and further away from the Mancunian cesspool.

Leeds has always been known as the edgiest uni, and the edgy look has been perfected in our city; what with the bindi, the vintage denim jacket, and the backpack all incorporated into our daily fashion lives. While this may not be the best claim to fame, it is our claim, and we’re proud of it. Manchester, on the other hand, has a dodgy, makeshift, copied version, one that includes way too many overly patterned shirts that probably belonged to their dads – and deserve to stay that way. It’s a look that has been passed down like an older sibling’s gross old clothes, and it’s a look that needs to be left where it belongs – in the 90s. 

Pub 11 out of 18 with no hope of reaching the end

Manchester may have Coronation Street, and Brian Cox is a pretty cool claim to fame – when he’s actually getting his maths correct. But let’s face it, the city of Manchester is gross and soulless, and with the highest rate of robbery in the UK, it puts even Chestnut Avenue to shame. You’re much better off in Leeds.