Beckett grad in critical condition in desperate need of blood donor

Lucy Hill is in intensive care in Thailand following a road accident

A Leeds Beckett grad is in desperate need of a blood donation following an accident while travelling.

Lucy Hill was hit by a car while riding a moped in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

She is now in a critical condition and is in need of a blood transplant – however the hospital has run out of A- blood.

Her friend and travelling companion Lauren Hall has posted an impassioned plea on Facebook for people with the A- blood type in Thailand to give blood.

thai

Lauren, left, and Lucy, right

Law student Lauren said: “We desperately need blood type A Negative in Chiang Mai.

“Less than 0.3 per cent of Thai people have a negative blood type, never mind the A group too.

“Lucy is in a critical condition in intensive care and there is no blood left that can be given to her.”

Even in the UK, the A- blood group is the third rarest among donors. O- blood can also be given to every blood group, but there is none available for Lucy.

Lauren has stressed the need for donors: “It is imperative we get expats or backpackers.”

She was also keen to emphasise that Lucy was not acting irresponsibly when the accident happened:  “She was not in the wrong. The accident was not her fault and she wore a helmet.”

Lauren is asking for anyone in Chiang Mai or planning to travel there to donate blood.

She has given instructions to anyone who wants to help: “Go to Maharaja Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital to donate to Lucy Hill. It opens 8:30 am and I will be there.”

The two friends have known each other since they were eleven. They planned to travel to Australia before Lauren returns to uni and Lucy’s work visa ends.

A fundraiser has also been started to raise money for Lucy’s medical expenses.

UPDATE: After an overwhelming response in which people queued outside the hospital for two hours before it opened this morning, Lucy has now received a transfusion.

Her father said the response was “humbling”, and that it is now “a waiting game”.

@EmilyWillsonx
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

LUU officially backs the Remain campaign

‘Our position to back Remain is Union policy, and not stating it would be breaking that policy’

Labour MP Jo Cox stabbed and shot to death in brutal attack

She was pronounced dead at the scene

Labour MP shot and stabbed in Leeds

Mother-of-two Jo Cox has been attacked in Birstall

, York Editor of the Tab

Young people have been shafted again. I’m furious and you should be too

Nigel is laughing at us all

I’ll admit it, I’m obsessed with Wagamama

An ode to my spiritual mecca

, Falmouth Editor of The Tab

I asked strangers on my Facebook how I knew them

They were all really rude to me

, Scottish Correspondent of The Tab

Old voters have wrecked everything. Here’s the proof

Look at the vote breakdown – we got screwed over

and

We asked young Europeans in London how worried they are post-Brexit

‘I feel like I’m not welcome here anymore’

, Soton Features Editor of The Tab

I went to Perse School for Girls, the real-life inspiration for St Trinians

We did as we damn well pleased