Leeds Uni looks set to introduce consent classes

Only one person voted against them

assault class consent lad culture leeds LUU rape uni Union women

Consent classes may soon be a reality at Leeds University.

The November Better University Forum saw the idea being passed by a majority of 12-1.

The motion put forward by LUU’s Women’s Liberation Co-ordinators asked: “Should LUU work with the University to provide consent classes during Freshers’ Week?”

The School Reps in attendance overwhelmingly supported the idea, saying their students were largely in favour of the idea of consent classes.

Medical School Rep Nick Spencer said that all the medical students he had spoken to were 100 per cent in support of consent classes, citing the mental health problems which can result from sexual assault as an important issue particularly relevant to medics.

There was concern over whether Freshers’ Week would be the best time to have these workshops as there is already so much going on – however it was said that to get the turnout they would need to be timetabled at some point.

This is a logistical question which will be worked out by the Exec in partnership with the University.

An impassioned speech by the Women’s Liberation Co-ordinators outlined the sheer number of students who are impacted by sexual assault, using statistics which state that one in five university age women will experience sexual assault.

A survey by The Tab In October found that 38 per cent of Leeds Students had experienced sexual assault, and 78 per cent of those knew their attacker.

It was emphasised that these workshops will be interactive, non-patronising and for people of all genders.

Other motions passed included Isaac Lichtenstein’s idea for more water fountains on campus, and that those that do exist should be functioning. This passed unanimously by the randomly selected student panel.

Samuel Ross’ idea for an online book sale to reduce the cost of buying textbooks also passed with 12 in favour and one against.

Esther Cummins’ idea regarding reduced Edge membership to help overweight students lose weight will go to campus referendum, as less than 75 per cent were in support of the idea. The split of votes was eight in favour and five against.