Beeston rapist pleads guilty

Zdenko Turtak denied a charge of attempted murder

assault attack beeston charge crime police rape sexual assault slovakia

A 21-year-old man has pleaded guilty to raping an 18-year-old as she waited at a bus stop in Beeston.

Zdenko Turtak also admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent but denied a charge of attempted murder.

Turtak had fled the country for his native Slovakia after the harrowing attack, but was extradited back to the UK earlier this year.

The bus stop where the attack took place

His victim was waiting at a bus stop in when she was attacked by Turtak on March 6th this year.

The Slovakian national appeared at Leeds Crown Court via videolink from Wakefield prison wearing a grey prison sweatshirt and rosary beads.

Prosecutor Simon Waley asked for the case to be adjourned for time for the Crime Prosecution Service to consider Turtak’s pleas.

A decision is expected to be made next week as to whether Turtak will face a trial on the attempted murder charge.

CCTV footage of a man believed to be the attacker

The Recorder of Leeds, Judge Peter Collier, QC, adjourned the case and remanded Turtak in custody.

The defendant will next appear before the court on October 8th.

If the CPS decide to accept his pleas he will next appear before the court on October 19th when he will be sentenced.

He was extradited back to the UK by officers from West Yorkshire Police Homicide and Major Enquiry Team.