Four out of five Leeds burglaries go unsolved

You’re never getting your Air Max back

burglary chestnut avenue crime hyde park leeds robbery unsolved

Four out of five break-ins in Leeds are left unsolved and only one in 15 result in a charge, according to new data.

Statistics released by the Home Office showed just 22 per cent of cases investigated by West Yorkshire police result in a suspect being identified.

Likewise, only eight per cent of cases result in someone being charged.

Crime hotspot Chestnut Avenue

Leeds is notorious for burglaries, with Chestnut Avenue and Otley Road often referred to as the most burgled streets in England.

Police statistics released earlier this year confirmed Chestnut Avenue was the site of 118 crimes in a 10 month window – more than Hyde Park Road, Cardigan Road, Woodhouse Lane and Brudenell Road combined.

Speaking about the new data, assistant Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police Russ Foster said: “Clearly these numbers are too low and as a force we are working to improve the way we investigate offences, ID offenders and detect offences.”

A spokesman for the West Yorkshire Police, Mark Burns-Williamson, said: “Reducing the number of burglaries and improving detection rates were key priorities.

“The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner are working to understand the difficulties around burglary detection rates and how best to overcome them.”