Murdered Leeds third year awarded posthumous degree

David Miller was killed in Thailand last year

david miller degree koh tao murder posthumous

Murdered Leeds student David Miller has been honoured with a posthumous degree by the university.

David, who was originally from Jersey, was killed on the Thai island of Koh Tao in September 2014.

The 24-year-old, who was studying Civil and Structural Engineering, had just completed his third year in Leeds.

He was in Thailand following a six-week international placement as part of a scholarship at a mining company in Australia when the incident occurred.

David’s mother and girlfriend collected the First Class Masters degree in Civil and Structural Engineering on his behalf at a special ceremony held on Wednesday.

The university’s Pro-Vice Chancellor Vivian Jones also paid tribute to the former Leeds student.

David’s family said: “We are very proud and wish to thank Leeds University for their very considerate and thoughtful gift in conferring this degree posthumously to David.

“His loss is unendurable. These times are so hard for us, but this was a very special and emotional moment.”

The trial of the two Burmese men accused of David’s murder is currently underway in Thailand.