Leeds grad jailed for death by drink driving

The crash happened in April last year

A Leeds Architecture graduate has been jailed for 22 months after pleading guilty to causing death by careless driving while under the influence.

Ngwenya Sinini was just under one and half times over the drink drive limit when the car he was driving in with his close friend Trust Tshuma veered out of control on a carriageway before colliding with a traffic island and then a wall.

Trust Tshuma suffered fatal injuries in the collision which took place along Leeds inner ring road.

The incident happened at 3:45am on April 20th of last year after the friends had been socializing.

Simon Whaley, prosecuting, told the court that Sinini was uninsured on the car which was going over the speed limit. The prosecutor also added it was unclear why Sinini drove across the carriageway.

Trust Tshuma was a promising and hard-working student at Huddersfield University, where he studied business, while Sinini studied Architecture at Leeds.

A statement read on behalf of Trust’s mother said “No words can explain the sad loss of my son. I feel empty, lost, stressed and depressed because my world had fallen apart.”

Taryn Turner, mitigating, said that Sinini had been extremely upset by the loss of his close friend and has been receiving counselling to come to terms with what had happened.

She added: “His remorse is both genuine and significant. It will blight his future prospects.”