The Tab gives you a sneaky peek at what went down at the uni event of the year: the Leeds RAG Fashion Show

It was the event we had all been waiting for and last night when the annual Leeds RAG Fashion Show hit the Refectory it was with it’s most spectacular show yet.

Fantastic clothes -and some fantastic bodies– paraded down our very own catwalk to raise some serious dollar for RAG’s chosen charities: Candle Lighters and Wateraid. Expectations were running high and they certainly did not disappoint.

Always quick off the gun, The Tab gives you a peek at what went on so even if you didn’t get a ticket, you can at least pretend you did.

In keeping with the 7 deadly sins, the show kicked off with LSFS’s motif of Man’s Fall

Would you Adam and Eve it?

Front row fashionistas

Here come the brides

Clothing was kindly donated by sponsor Harvey Nicholas for the show

Something for the boys

And something for the girls

Audience ensembles

The decked out VIP lounge

Appetite whet yet? Because there’s more where this came from, including some guest appearances from several of our BNOC nomination allumni!

Keep with The Tab as we bring you the full run down of the event: with more on the fashion, more on the models and – of course – many, many more photos!

So well done RAG and stay tuned!

Photos: Rafi Spanks

• HypebeastBrah

I don’t need to masturbate cos your articles make me cum erry time

• DB

This article is a load of rubbish. The writer doesn’t seem to know what feminism actually is.

“He says: “Hi, what’s your name?” So I scream at him “I’m a woman who has my own body and own choices. You don’t own me.” – What a RIDICULOUS and down right ignorant way to perceive feminists.

Writer, please do some research. Read some feminist books. You’re contributing to this uneducated backlash to feminism that paints all feminists as radical.

I’m a feminist. I let my boyfriend carry in the heavier bags after a trip to the supermarket as he is physically stronger. We split the bills depending on who is earning the larger income. We take it in turns to pay for dinner. I buy him gifts as much as he buys me gifts – fair is fair. If you want to receive more than you get, that’s not defying feminism, that’s YOUR life choice.

• db

more than you give*

• JayT

your personal life does not justify the attitude of all feminists worldwide

• JFC

Ahaha who on earth wrote this shit??!

• lamf

LOL : Most of the men I know are too smart and evolved to be the man of YOUR dreams. (perhaps you are the man of your dreams).

• Is trent a university?

I don’t think you’ve quite got it.

• Skin Cuntry Deep Living

allow cis white hetero able bodied males…

• Your average joe

Lol.. No man will be interested in you if you expect everything from him.
    We should pay every bill?? Fuck that.

• Being honest

Hello Feminists,

I understand your cause and I appreciate you want to be seen the same as men within society.

But by pursuing this you will have to give up all the privileges you currently have for being female. These changes will happen slowly over time but the wheels are already in motion.
    Things you will give up; having doors opened for you, seats pulled out for you, men helping you carry heavy bags, having the divorce courts heavily in your favour, having child custody courts heavily in your favour, having dinners and drinks bought for you, people having extra sympathy for you in difficult times, your right to not get drafted in to the army if needs me, the extra support female drug addicts and homeless get, the social stigma that a guy can never physically assault a girl, your right to be evacuated out of disaster situations ahead of men.

These are all I can think of for now. I hope you get what you want tbh, then you will very soon realise being a man is not what it’s cracked up to be.

• Feminist man

I think you misunderstand.
      Feminism won’t push women down where they already have privilege. It will pull men up to that level.
      It’s about equality for both genders.

• Naive

Feminism will only drive the gap between inequality

• Feminist man

What ever will the men do when women are treated as human?! The female overlords will rule down upon us!

• Open your eyes

Wow, those are the only things I have to give up for equality? Count me in!!

This seems to be a thing that so many people fail to understand: these little “perks” of being a women are nothing compared to the structural inequality women face. Mate, if you can give me a life where I have the same opportunities as a man, then I will buy you ALL the drinks, hold open ALL the doors and give you ALL the sympathy during your difficult times.

• Being Honest

But what is this structural inequality you speak of? I am a little bit confused as to what you mean. Last time I checked there are no laws holding women back in any field/industry whatsoever.

Is it not more logical to believe the discrepancies we see between the genders are more down to lifestyle choices rather than invisible sexism?

• Amelia

Sex equality stands for equal rights regardless of sex, maybe instead of assuming that women must give up the ‘privileges’ you mentioned above, we should concentrate on equality. So maybe next time you see a woman with heavy bags, you could still help her out. LIKEWISE if a woman sees a man struggling with heavy bags, she could hold open all of the doors for him. At this level, we are talking about politeness.

• Ollie

This is really bad. You made no points! No wonder you’re at the university you’re at

• AMT

Not relevant really and quite a low blow. Discuss the ideas portrayed in the article, not get all snobby about Universities.

• Amelia

Please stop this woman writing for you, for the good of both men and women everywhere. To the writer, maybe you should spend more time educating yourself properly about sex and gender equality before you publish such ridiculously, wrongly-informed articles on the internet.

• Thomas

Wrongly informed? feminism isn’t one thing, feminism has many strands. It does actually agree with many feminist strands…

• EALT

Yawn.

• Anon

I think you have failed in grasping the concept of feminism. Feminism is the idea of equality between genders, the idea that women can walk the streets without fear of being raped, express themselves sexually without fear of being called a slag, not get constantly groped or petted while socialising, not have their genitals mutilated because some high and mighty male thinks its appropriate, have equal education and job opportunities as men etc etc etc.

What you are talking about is date culture, I am a man and I do open doors for women and offer my seat if need be, i also offer to pay for meals. Because i am simply being polite and doing it out of my own free will, and i don’t feel like its an obligation.

I don’t need to talk dirty to girls, or grope them to get with them (unless ofcourse they want me to).

I don’t at all feel threatened or emasculated by the concept of feminism, at the end of the day if i have a daughter i would want her to have the exact same opportunities (if not better) that i had growing up as a male.

I do agree with parts of this article however, men are constantly bombarded by images of unrealistically good looking women and yet there is very little resources that provide advice as to how men should behave around women. Most men literary have no clue as to what they should do or how they should approach someone they are attracted to.

• liv

yay congrats on missing the entire point of feminism

• Al

agreed! Love this. I do totally understand the meaning of ‘feminism’ – but at the moment we see a lot of so-called feminists becoming man-haters. This is not what feminism is! I think I believe in traditional values more than I believe in feminist ways, but that doesn’t mean I am not female. Equality can be achieved in some respects, but not all. Some men are better at things than women, physically, biologically etc. Just as women are better than men at certain things.

• Paul Simpson

The current union is rubbish as is the building so anything is an improvement

• Mark

So, tell me, have you writer ever been faced with a choice between food or going home, say? Because the loan I received gave me a budget of around £4 a day after rent. It seems, your budget can stretch to allow you to eat ‘bio-organic grains’ and shop at Foyles. But do say, is this afforded by a fair student loan or handout from your family? It is easy to support Toryism when, it would appear, you’re not someone who has to deal with the reality that their policies hit hardest those with the very least.

• Skeptical

Calling bullshit, my household income was <£35k and I was studying in London and no problems affording food or booze.

• Rachel

From my experience it’s the people in the middle that get hit the hardest by the loan system. It certainly limited me when I was looking for universities as moving away would have been a huge financial struggle, as due to household income I only qualified for a small amount of maintenance loan (ie over £1000 short of covering rent for the nicer halls, and barely enough to cover rent for the cheapest places), yet my parents weren’t in a position to be giving/lending me money to make up for it. Definitely agree with Mark that there are clear winners and losers from the current loan system!

• What?

I love that last paragraph of this article… If you claim to be everything you say in the last paragraph, why would you then vote Tories? It doesn’t quite add up.

• vehementi

“In my case, I’d known my political inclination since the age of 14.”

Isn’t this the most intellectually self-incriminating thing you could possibly say? Regardless of stances, topics, politicians, crimes – regardless of news, evidence, essays – I’ve known for years which party I’m voting for!

• Emily Dillistone

Please could this article have been written by someone who has read into feminist theory and doesn’t simply state opinions about the social norms they want being pushed onto others? This article is on the brink of being quite interesting, with a discussion about traditionalists and radicals within the feminist movement

• Emily Dillistone

Also this article claims to discuss feminist ideas but is painfully gender binary and cis-normative – “less of a woman”?!? Please.

• Ashleigh

It’s an opinion piece, not a university essay on the pros and cons of being a feminist.
      Much love <3

• Emily Dillistone

Intelligent and open discussion doesn’t solely belong to ‘university essays’. Feminists unfortunately have a reputation of being close-minded, and this article furthers that stereotype. It is possible to write an opinion piece without being bigoted and without propagating unhealthy social norms and pressures that already exist. We have enough people thinking that men and women should be a certain way, which leaves trans and non-binary people as real outsiders in the world. Feminism is about choice and opening up opportunities for people. Feminists do not want to force women to be ‘independent’ and to live celibate lives. We want people to be able to choose what they want, whether that is independence, or a more traditional relationship such as the one you suggest, or something else entirely. I hope you see where I’m coming from now.

• psychosaurus

“Intelligent and open discussion” is not possible with a feminist involved. Try talking with a fascist about democracy. Stereotypes exist for a reason – in general they highlight a certain real fact about a group. Society is a wonderful thing, it often tries to mimic hierarchical systems of nature in order to sustain itself, the only unhealthy social norms and pressures which are coming now to existence is the pressure of having to join the feminist movement when you feel that you cannot accomplish in your life whatever you want and therefore feel the need to adhere to a bullshit gendered movement to make yourself feel better when you are surrounded by other pathetic failed existences who shout at the same time how independent they are. If you want people to be able to choose what they want, and open opportunities for them – perhaps you should be in the libertarian movement. Grow up :) modern feminist theory is called a theory for a reason – it never accomplished anything in the real world, just in the small brains of its readers while they sat in their college safe spaces.

• Emily Dillistone

Haha this comment is hilarious! Clearly an ignorant humanities student, else you would know that the scientific definition of ‘theory’ is essentially an argument with hard evidence such as ‘the theory of evolution’. I have very little time for people who bash minority movements trying to make a genuine difference for people in this world, but, instead of reducing myself to getting personal, as only weak debaters do, I shall say that one day ‘feminism’ will no longer be a minority movement, as it will be simply another libertarian movement. But as long as gender and sex discrimination are an issue, the world needs feminism.

• psychosaurus

Anything can be a theory these days – ever since they give out degrees from womens studies to people like you who then feel they have discovered something new and socially revolutionary and then publish their bullshit and pretend its scientific and evidence based 😀 lol at that… So tell me :) what difference did YOU really make in this world with your feminism ? Did you go to Saudi Arabia and campaign for womens right to drive ? Did you go to Afghanistan and fight for womens full rights in courts ? Did you go to Sudan and protest against female genital mutilation ? or did you just sit on your ass and comment on Tab articles about how sexist they are and how we need feminism because of this ?! Im afraid my humble opinion tells me you are the latter case.

• Emily Dillistone

I thought it better to finish my degree at Oxford first and then work with the foreign office to combat real-world problems from a position of power, a position from which idiots won’t shout me down. Sorry!

• psychosaurus

Ahaaa – so now its power that you want – yet when a man holds it by chance its patriarchy and oppression. 😀 No jokes now, I appreaciate that you understood that you cant change anything with your feminist internet pseudo-activism and decided to go to the nations most elitist and “male-dominated” Russell Group higher education institutions, after which you would like to go to work for one of the most “patriarchal” departments of the government. Im sure you will be a great diplomats wife, indeed all the worlds problems can be solved out of a kitchen counter – take the world hunger for example. 😀

• Emily Dillistone

Open-minded intelligent discussion is what I seek in the world and I am yet to find it here. What a shame! This ‘discussion’ is not constructive, and therefore it has little value to me. Good bye :) remember my name as maybe you’ll hear it again one day

• Manny Polacek

I do not see how more “traditional” (as you called it) relationships are cases of “unhealthy social norms and pressures”. There are very many women like Ashleigh, who prefer the traditional relationship and gender roles we are naturally skewed towards.
          Considering the preference of these relationships as “pressures” and calling them “unhealthy norms”, you are disrespecting Ashleigh’s perfectly free choice of preference by negative labelling.
          Only vaguely do I see where you are coming from. You seem rather selective in accepting opinions. The point of the article, as I see it, is that not all women are against traditional values. Your negative commentary just proves the point of modern feminism being close-minded, something you should be fighting against. I know this should not be the case, but, unfortunately, it is these remarks and negativism that hide the real feminist values and give feminism all the negative publicity.

• Elz

Well this was offensive. Again problems with all the heteronormative, cis-normative and actually really misogynistic language. Feminism is about choice, if you want a dude to pay for crap, that’s cool..could it also be because of the fact that as a woman, you bank less dollar? Cos I’m about a free dinner too with all these social injustices bringing me TF down.

• psychosaurus

Go cry to your student union safe space, the real world is too much for you I see. Thats why you adhere to your bullshit unreal fem-ideologies which make you feel better about yourself and your limitations as a pathetic form of existence first – and then a woman. If you feel the need to hide behind a gendered movement, perhaps you are not a “strong independent womyn” at all and deserve to bank less dollar :)

• Amelia

I think it’s nice when my boyfriend covers the bill, not because he’s being a ‘real man’, but because he’s being nice. And likewise when I get the bill, I’m not undermining his masculinity, I am being nice. That’s all there is to it.

• Callum Lynch

Oh dear….

You want, and indeed expect a guy to order food for you, pay the bill, and hold open doors for you (and failure to do so results in him being labelled a “pig” on your terms). But you are an “independent woman”…?

If you cannot grasp the absurdly obvious contradiction in such a statement then I despair. And even if you are able to appreciate the paradox of expecting to be treated in such a way by your male partner whilst still being regarded as an “independent woman”, you are at best spoilt and lazy, and show a remarkable lack of respect towards both him and yourself.

You profess to be “all for men and woman being equal”, and yet your entire attitude towards and expectations of men and relationships utterly contradicts this. You claim to believe in gender equality, but as you so aptly put it yourself, “it’s not possible to have it both ways.” You cannot demand equality and regard yourself as an “independent woman” deserving of respect (and equal treatment as such) whilst simultaneously expecting your male partner to treat you in that way and to effectively be your lapdog and personal bank account.

You are also entirely misrepresenting “feminism” – a movement that has fought hard for rights and freedoms which you evidently entirely take for granted.

“Feminism” does NOT mean that when a guy approaches you in a club and says simply: “Hi, what’s your name?”, that you then have to “scream at him “I’m a woman who has my own body and own choices. You don’t own me.””

“Feminism” does NOT mean, as you suggest, that when a guy makes unwanted advances on you that your reaction has to be: “I’m a strong independent woman”, nor does it reject or prevent the possibility of your male best friend protecting you in such a situation. No. “Feminism” argues that you should not have to receive those unwanted advances in the first place, and it seeks to achieve this reality by fostering a culture and attitude in human society that women should be respected as equal and autonomous beings.

Please educate yourself on what “feminism” actually is, rather than vilifying it. Your ignorance is astounding, and I have to say, very sad. It is, may I also point out, rather alarming (particular when you acknowledge the patriarchal society in which we are undoubtedly still living) that you are having to be educated on what “feminism” is by a man… What cave have you been living in?…

What an absolutely dreadful article. Please refrain from writing another one until you have remedied your fundamental misconceptions and ignorance.

• Ashleigh Lauren Tuttle

Lol k

• Callum Lynch

Brilliant.

• Manny Polacek

What the F have I just read? Obviously, your commentary – very arrogant commentary must I say.
      “Feminism is about gender equality, yet it matters who educates you on feminism, because, should it be a man, you are living in a cave.” – Callum Lynch, 2015

It seems from your commentary that one needs to be formally educated to have a valid opinion. That reminds me of Animal Farm. I respect if you find it perfectly normal not to hold doors for women, but please, respect that I will go on and hold doors for women. And will pass it on as being polite. The feminist fight against these small nuances of gentlemen and ladies culture is counter productive. You fight where feminism is needed the least, if at all.
      And stop calling people ignorant. It is you who ignores the image feminism has nowadays. The aim is lovely, I believe, and hope, even your comments and internet activism is based on an elevated principle, but not everyone has the time to dig into feminist theory to unveil all the good hidden behind your affected comments. Just open your mind to the fact that many people, even supporting the ideas of feminism, do not call themselves feminist because the good feminist fight is in the shade of rude and angry idealistic, yet negligible, fightlets against harmless cultural norms.

• Logic

What does that have to do with theft?

• Name

Someone has been smoking too much canabis

• anon

I think the article is somewhat agreeing with you… So labeling it as an ‘incoherent mess’ could mean you haven’t read it properly?

• ESCG

You’re certainly unforgiving.